1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rock Salt Question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Harford13, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

Is there a difference between #1 rock salt, and the rock salt "Blizzard" etc... you pick up at the Home Depot? I just picked up a used spreader and it says use #1 rock salt only... I have a pallet of Blizzard rock salt in the truck, will it work the same?
  2. Digger63

Digger63 Member

Give it a try

Most of your bagged products are usually dry, making handling them easy for spreaders. International salt makes these bags with the ice be gone / magic liquid ( look up at advertisement ) during the summer . Wet materials are the nightmare of spreaders. Salt processing is alot like stone processing. The material is crushed and separated into different sizes to make a blend of sorts. For deicing of roadways a certain consistency is made to specs. You can always make it smaller but can't put it back together, hence a second blend of fines in created. This could be used for other purposes instead of road deicing. Once in a while you will see people try to sell this " seconds" of salt cheaper to supply yards , but it isn't so great for our use ( clumps and too fine for sanders and such)
    Hope this helps
  3. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Depends on your spreader. V-boxes prefer bulk, tailgates like bagged. Bagged is usually drier, and screened again for better flow (removes the big pieces and the fines that cause compaction and clogging).

What kind of spreader are we talking about here?
  4. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

I have a Buyers, TGS01 tailgate (reciever mount) spreader..... I'm just wondering if the bags of salt I have are going to work in it, on the spreader it says use only #1 rock salt, and on the bags of salt I have it doesn't have a size
  5. leon

leon Senior Member

rock salt abomination

Hello Harford13,

Ah yes, the screening sieve size question and the salt fines that are
    not supposed to be there which is an issue which I know so well.

Please be sure to stock up on windshield washer fluid to keep
    the salt flowing in your tailgate spreader as thats the only thing
    thats going to help you. Plan on using a gallon every time you
    load the spreader after you load it as the alcohol is the only thing
    that will keep it flowing for you.

Be sure to drop the bags on the ground a couple of times before you
    open them up at the top or bottom of the bag
    and dump them that way the chunks that are not broken
    will end up on top of the salt in the spreader and you can set them aside
    and throw them back in the bag and smack the bag against the ground to
    break the chunks up.

The majority of bagged rock salt has not been treated with an anti caking agent
    and that is why it turns into a block of salt unfortunately.

The HPDE4 bags are not moisture proof and they breath and as a result they readily absorb moisture.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  6. Westhardt Corp.

WTF is HPDE4? High Poly Dense Ethylene?

Why, that's just mean...poor bag.

7. leon

leon Senior Member

Mean hell !!!

I must in admit that the switch from triple wall high wieght paper bags to the form, fill and seal, variety still has me scratching my head when they could pail everything and not have any issues with moisture making the salt unuseable after being stored from season to season BBBBBUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTT no, they had to change the packaging methods to improve thier profit ratio as obscene as it is with bagged product.:laughing:
  8. Westhardt Corp.

About your pails...

I collect samples, with 5-gal pails. Guess they're cutting quality there, too, because they all split their bottoms open. I happen to like FFS, but the cost for modern lines are quite high.

9. leon

leon Senior Member

pails et. al.

Is it my fault that they do not buy Ropac inc pails?:laughing:
  10. Westhardt Corp.

As a matter of fact.....yes.

11. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

So here's the problem................... The bagged salt I have pours right out of the auger assembly and onto the ground when I fill the spreader..... So where do you guys buy #1 rock salt??? I
  12. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

if you were in MN there are a bunch of places that sell bulk salt, try local landscaping/agreagate yards, thats gonna be your best bet IMO. you could do some google searches on bulk salt suppliers in your area also.
  13. Westhardt Corp.

It may help to fashion a baffle to slow the material down, just keep it out of the auger.