1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rock salt on bricks

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by kawasaki guy, Feb 5, 2013.

1. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy Senior Member

Hi guys,

Is rock salt bad on bricks :confused: :gunsfiring::dizzy:
  2. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Salt is pretty much bad for everything.
  3. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I use Magic Salt on bricks and pavers and I havent seen an issue. But Salt is pretty corrosive.
  4. kawasaki guy

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I can't believe you posted a thread to ask something like this! Try to "google" stuff like this and you'll feel like a genius in just a few days. ;)
  6. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

Only if its hungry salt
  7. kawasaki guy

I did google it, but it did not have anything about changing color
    Thanks !!!
  8. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

Use liquids

TJSNOW Senior Member

:laughing:...We have a winner...Stay away from that hungry salt.....:salute:
  10. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

The freeze thaw is what kills Concrete and Brick pavers.......Salt or any other De-icer just speeds that process up

Brick pavers are more susceptible to the freeze thaw process due to the fact they do not use Air Entrained concrete in the process....The paver is Alot more porous than concrete so water penetrates quicker and further....
  11. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

How would this make a difference?

Everyone uses liquids to melt snow and ice. :nod:

You almost sound like you might know something aboot this, I'm impressed.
  12. kawasaki guy

Thanks guys !!!
  13. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Calcium chloride is far less corrosive than sodium chloride, and if you want to get real fancy beet juice is the latest fad. There is less wastage with liquid (I've read reports where as much as 40% of rock salt is wasted...mind you, that is for road applications). Also, pre treatment with liquid brine is very effective.
  14. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

If the bricks are older style clay bricks and you use rock salt they are pretty much toast, They will start to fall apart especially with the freeze and thaw. Concrete bricks hold up better then clay bricks do. Concrete is permeable and the salt can get inside the bricks and work from the inside out over time.
  15. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Calcium is less corrosive than sodium?

Since when? Why then must one use rubber gloves when using calcium? Why is it recommended to use a respirator when applying granular calcium?

Beet juice is far from the latest fad, it started close to 10 years ago.
  16. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You sure about that?

Landscape pavers are "softer" (less dense) than poured concrete?

17. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Compared to NaCl and Cacl2...it is the latest fad. Mg doesn't count, as it is not a fad.

Geez, like to argue much?

Let it be known that my post was specifically referencing the causticity of CaCl2 to concrete, and its compressive strength, not iron, steel, skin or eyeballs. And yes, I have an engineering background. :waving:
  18. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Argue? No just correct misinformation.

As for calcium and concrete and having an engineering background, you might want to check Michigan Tech's study of mag, calcium and sodium and its effects on concrete.
  19. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

How about a link to some info backing that up? I've never seen any that shows CC any safer to use, at least nothing published by a non-biased agency in the last 20 years or so. And beat juice isn't going to melt anything better than water will, it's only used a a suplement to an actual de-icer. When you hear about beat juice being used, it's almost always a small ingredient, with the bulk being a salt brine of some sort...............
  20. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

More Porous than a Traditional poured concrete slab......So...just calm down there fella....

Do you know what porous means????........:laughing:

The PSI which you are referring to on Brick pavers is around 8000-12000 psi which is Much higher than normal slab concrete.......Happy Now.....:waving:
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013