1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rock salt in bad conditions

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by vincent, Jan 3, 2014.

1. vincent

vincent Senior Member

With the arrival of heavy snow and cold temps (10 and below), is it worth salting after plowing?

The temps have been mid teens to high 20's for the last few days and no relief for the next 3-4 days. Some places won't receive a good scrap because of traffic.

These conditions don't happen here in MO very often and I scratch my head when they do, only want to do the right thing.

ps. customers won't pay for pre-treat or use anything other than rock salt.
  2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

helps the liability if nothing else....
  3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Use rock salt if that's your only choice and put it down thick!
  4. CleanCutL&S

CleanCutL&S Senior Member

Yes salt it, They say salt won't work below 4 degrees, but actually i have had it work in sub zero temps. Get some calcium chloride melter in if you have to. Even a few 50lb bags mixed with salt would help. Supposed to be -24 here on Sunday, Just picked up a ton of CC for that. Also we charge / make more. So bring on the cold. Also should be in your contract as to what you are using at what temps.
  5. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

My truck said -15 this morning while salting. The sun was just rising so even though the temps were only going to be in the low teens/single digits I knew it would work. I have pre wet my salt up until this year but due to getting a new spreader and no time to hook it up I'm realying on just salt. I can say that the wetting really helps it start melting. However the salt will still work it just takes alot more time/traffic to get it working. My lots were melted down by mid day and dry by late afternoon. You may use more material but I will always salt even if its cold. As soon as it warms a bit your lots will start melting rather than just holding snow and ice. If you salt and something happens atleast you can say you did all you could . If you skip it , maybe it would have been safer if you applied. We have never had a customer dispute a salting becasue it was cold out.
  6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

This is what I do, add some Calcium to the mix. I even do that to jobs that only wants salt
  7. vincent

vincent Senior Member

thanks for the suggestions.
  8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

You got it!
  9. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Hopefully the snow gets out of here early on Sunday while temps are still good so we get a good scrape...Good Luck out in O'Fallon,
    PS I also sent out a mass email to my customers explaining salt losing its effectiveness at low temps so my customers are prepared.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  10. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

We have been dealing with similar conditions this season. I would definitely salt your locations. Even if they are high traffic like gas stations it will help soften the snow so you can plow it up and get it back close to pavement. Then you can salt it again and it will be good. You have to remember it isn't the air temperature that matters, its the pavement temperature. Hope this helps