1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rock salt how much

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bluediamond, Feb 8, 2007.

1. bluediamond

bluediamond Junior Member
    from 7

how much do you get to put down a 50# bag of rock salt. Cost me about $5 a bag. How much per bag?

2. mon4t

mon4t Junior Member

i get my salt from happy ice which is also known as artic glacier inc i pay 3.75 per bag thats for pallet price 1-6 pallets the price is 3.75 per bag if you buy 7 pallets the price per bag is alittle cheaper there are 49 bags on a pallet i charge about 10.00 per bag that icludes the salt and spreading it so if you use 6 bags= $60.00 then charge a little more for gas for truck per time

Mike
    JAX LANDSCAPING AND SNOWPLOWING

3. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

We usually pay between $3.29 & $3.99 a bag (50 lb.) depending on who happens to have it available.
    Have been charging 15 cents a lb. ($15 per 100#) but then on the accts which are flat rate per push we'll put on a $30 service fee and hourly accts we keep running the clock so they're paying labor on top of the salt cost.
    We've been charging this for a few yrs. now and will most likely increase rates next year.
    I know ther are several guys out there charging 25 cents a lb.

4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

$15.00 per bag here cost me $3.98 + tax per bag.

5. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

We use mostly bulk salt. But as a general rule the price per push=price for salt. Of course you would adjust the price for lots handicap spots, high foot traffic areas and portions of gravel.

As for pricing a $82.00 yard of salt will generally brings in $500.00 on average in billing. More for lots of smaller places and a little less for larger lots say 250 parking spaces.

So salt cost me approx 7 cents per pound and sells for 50 cents per pound deleverd and spread. I think a yard of salt is about 1200lb. with normal moisture contents??At least thats the number I used.