1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rochester NY Sub Wages?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by junior426, Nov 23, 2010.

1. junior426

junior426 Junior Member

Hey guys, been lurking for a couple months now and figured with winter on it's way that I would work on getting prepped to try my hand at plowing. With that said, I'm not a rookie, I have been plowing my parents and neighbors driveways for a couple years now, and have grown up on everything from ATV's to backhoes, skidsteers, etc. I've got/ in the process of buying a truck and plow set up from my Dad. It is a 2005 F250, diesel, crew cab, short box, plow package, with an 8' Boss straight blade. I would like to make some extra cash this winter outside of my day job. I know that will limit me to job opportunities, but I can't rely on just plowing for my paycheck at this point. The biggest thing I am looking for is what people in the area are paying for sub-contractors. Got a few other questions, but that is the important one to start with.

2. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

Best way to find that out is call around to companies in the yellow pages that perform plowing and ask if they are hiring subs and what price.

3. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Why sub?
    Get your truck, insurance etc, and put out some advertising. You should get plenty of work around Rochester.
    Just per realistic with your prices so you don't screw yourself, along with all the guys who know what it really costs to operate, and do charge accordingly.

4. junior426

junior426 Junior Member

I've got my truck, plow, and rooftop strobe already. I figured I would try to find a spot as a sub for a few different reasons. The first being that I already have a full time job 8 to 5 M-F and an occasional saturday. Plowing is a 24/7 thing to be competetive from what I can gather, and I wouldn't want to leave customers upset because I couldn't clear their driveway until 6-7 pm at the earliest. Also not sure of the insurance costs of running it as a business versus as a sub. Lastly, I'm not sure what kind of fees and licenses, and taxes etc. I would need to start my own business. Seemed that just starting as a subcontractor for the time being would be best/easiest given my current work schedule. I'm open to your guys' input and suggestions.

5. Wader

Wader Junior Member

I'm in the same boat. I have a regular job and this is my first year. I will be working for a guy who has one truck going right now & he's expanding. This year he will have an employee drive his truck and me in mine as a sub. When I can't help due to my day job, he will take my truck out, he'll give me half pay to rent the truck, while I drive his car. This way I make money either way & he is only plowing during the day which works out for both of us. If anyone asks me to do a driveway privately, I can just explain the situation & if they don't mind waiting until later, then I can do it for them.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  6. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

You better have proper insurance for that stuff.

7. Wader

Wader Junior Member

I'm covered under his sub policy when I'm plowing for him. I haven't purchased commercial insurance yet because I don't plan on doing any on my own. My regular policy covers me on friends driveways as long as I'm not being paid.

8. junior426

junior426 Junior Member

That's why I had planned on subbing. To find out what kind of insurance I need, without paying an arm and a leg for it hopefully.