1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rochester MN

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CityGuy, Mar 12, 2009.

1. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Limiting Snow Removal

(ABC 6 NEWS) -- After the snow flies, many of us, bundle up and head outside to clean up Mother Nature's mess.

But should there be a limit on when we can move that snow?

Today the Rochester city council said "no".

There's no doubt these guys, make a lot of noise.

But is it so loud it should be illegal to use a snow blower, plow or even a shovel in the wee hours of the morning?

"It’s a discussion we need to have and we need to write it out and decide," says Synder.

After receiving several calls from constituents complaining about how early neighbors were moving snow, Rochester council member Bruce Snyder decided it was a question that needed to be answered.

So he brought a proposal to the city council.

"From midnight to 5 in the morning that in residential areas citizens would be prohibited from retaining someone to remove snow, or going out themselves with blowers or whatever to remove that," says Kvenvold.

But the proposal met resistance, not only on how to enforce it, but if it was a reasonable request for government to take action on.

"My opinion is that the city council should not enact any new law or regulation that would control citizens behavior unless that behavior is disruptive to quite a few citizens," says Kvenvold.

But some residents don't agree.

"I guess I can't imagine somebody out snow blowing at midnight, but if it's a problem it's a good idea," says resident Gene Nelson.

"For all those people I sympathize with them, I don't want to listen to them blow their snow," says resident Barbara Schmerbauch.

The council meeting just wrapped up a few moments ago.

With the support of several snow removal companies in the room, it was decided the city would not pursue the ban any further.

Right now, the only similar ban the city has in place is a construction ban that applies from 10 at night to 7 in the morning.

Wow I believe this would have been a first.

2. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

I can see the ban on construction hours. Imagine having your windows open on a summer morning and listening to a roofing crew running air nailers.....But as far as snow removal hours, No. These two-bit local city officials need to realize it is not a 9-5 world anymore. I cannot believe the amount of highway and local trafic at 3 am during a snow storm!

3. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Um, what happened to snow being an EMERGENCY?

4. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

How long does it take to plow a driveway? 5 minutes? Who's a$$ is so tight that they can't let a guy do his job for 5 minutes and then move on. I'm surprised that the council didn't change the law and I'm glad they didn't.

Figure out how you are going to save or create jobs in your area instead of restricting the one already there.

5. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I remember this all over the news a few months ago, I sure glad it didn't pass!! Not everyone can move there snow at 8:00am or 5:00PM.

6. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

not saying a ban is good,
    but some ploughmen do townhomes, apartments. etc.
    It won't take 5 mins in alot of places within close quarters.

Any snow-emergency should be inclusive to keeping a safe open path for exit/entrance.
    If you had to drive over it, it's gonna get hard packed really quick. Also many other issues will prevail themselves in short order.

Heck all the cities are going to raise taxes so they can purchase blowers for emt, firemen, police....I guess.

7. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Just thoughts but what about all those doctors and what not that work at the Mayo down there. Don't think they are all 8-400 people.

8. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, doctors can get called in at anytime. Especially in a big town like Rochester with many medical establishments. We plow a bunch of group homes, and we make sure they are open at pretty much all times, in case of an emergency. You never know when the police or an ambulance will be called to one of those places.

9. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I've got a couple doctors that give me their on-call schedule each month so I know what nights they HAVE to be able to get out. I, along with 100% of all plowers in the world provide 24/7/365 coverage. Obviously it's not actually 365, but you get my point. How about those ambulances that need to get through? Are heart attacks not allowed to happen from midnight-5am??? The nerve of some people.

I also got a paper guy that has to be out at 2am each morning, 6 days a week. I know, he doesn't HAVE to be like a doctor HAS to be, but I can just hear all the people that complained about the people out plowing/blowing snow at 2am complaining that their paper was not delivered on time and how unacceptable it is. I can read all the letters to the editor now. "My paper was so late".

10. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I can say from personal expierence that it sucks trying to get to a fire call in snow. There has been more than one time that we ( a couple of guys on the dept) have had to plow our way infront of the fire trucks to calls.

11. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I'll be the devil's advocate here.

I can understand some people's complaints.

I cannot believe there should be a ban, but there should be some common decency.

I personally will not plow a residential drive after 11 pm or before 6 am, unless it's a customer that has hired me to get them out for work.

98% of the time, I can either get enough scraped off before the 11 pm and then the snow stops, or there hasn't been enough to worry about 6 am.

I can't see any real reason why, as a service provider, you wouldn't want to do residentials after 7 am anyways. Before 7 am is when you're busting your butt to get the commercials done, so these people that leave their house, have a clean lot to get to.

Now I understand if there's 6" of snow in a drive from a heavy snow, and God forbid these people can't back out of a drive, even in their minivan or Prius, that you can make a path quick for them, but to do an all out space management, including the sidewalk, garage door apron, etc., that's a little extreme at 3 am.

And remember, the coucil was talking residential areas.

12. Puddlejumper

Puddlejumper Member

When I get home after a long night of plowing my wife is exhausted from listening to the town guys push all of the towns snow and pile it on our corner for hauling. Then I get to hear them all morning as they haul it away. I live on a residential block that borders downtown. Where do you draw the line? Are my rights not as good as others? Because it is a government orginization that is ok. Most snow removal is done late at night to help reduce the danger that traffic brings. I do the commercial just like you said but what about when you start plowing at 3:30 in the afternoon and finish your commercials at 3:00 AM. Should we then have to drive back and do them after 7:00? Just some food for thought.

13. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

What "right" are you talking about?

Actually, if I started plowing at 3:30 pm, I would do all the residentials first, or up until 11 pm, like I said, wherever I could get them in.

If it was something where we started at midnight and were done at 5 am, then yes, I would still wait 7 am or so. Head to Perkins for breakfast, park at a Wal-Mart and take a little nap, whatever.

I've got a Country Inn & Suites, along with an apartment building next door, and we don't start those until 9 am, eventhough we're more often than not done at 6-7 am with everything.

I just go park in the Target parking lot next door and sleep for a couple of hours, as I'm not allowed to start the motel until checkout time at 10 am.

Truthfully, it snows about 16-18 times here in MN, depending on where in MN you are. There's other things in life that will keep people awake more than 15-20 times a year, but since it's something they think they can blame someone else, they will.

14. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Your 7am start time on residentials just doesn't work for most people. I've got about 50 residentials that need to be cleared BY 7AM so they can get on the road to work by 7:15 or 7:30am. Most people around here have to be to work by 8am.

If a storm doesn't even start snowing until evening (6-10pm), then your schedule of plowing until 11pm and stopping until 7am doesn't work. And, saying that not enough snow to plow would fall from 10pm til 7am wouldn't hold water either. We typically get snow at 1-2" an hour. You do the math. My plow runs 24/7, irreguardless and my customers expect no less.

Obviously every customer and contractor are different, but when the customer demands to be open by 7am, or 4 am, or 2am, or kept open all night, that's what I do.

15. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

LwnmwrMan22 ,
    I do respect how you do things your way, however it's definantly not the way we all do it,
    Nor should we have your mentality of waiting 2 hours {sleeping ???:dizzy:} while everything is going since only midnight and you're done at 5am with commercial.

I feel there is no real set way to do it for everyone.
    The ideal way is contracts, seasonal resi's then call ins. But it shouldn't come to being Governed on how to do it.

Some of my contracts are Day Care Operators that are in residential areas. They must be done before 5am I am there like right when the last flakes are falling regardless of time. They all are 0 tolerance, so I do them before some "commercial properties".

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  16. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I personally don't want to see any restrictions placed on when you can do snow removal. Let plowers go when they can, this job is hard enough as is. I like being out and about with little or no traffic. Makes everything easier.

17. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

how many times have i wished for a rooftop mounted minigun on my truck...

18. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I do my best/most productive work during the nite when there is little to no traffic. People that think we should cater our hours b/c they can't put aup w/ a little bit of noise for a few moments are friggin' idiots! Next thing ya know, they'll be complaining that squad cars shouldn'r run their sirens during the nite, firetrucks need to wait b/c their soooo noisy, etc, etc. C'mon, give me a break. Snow removal is a service which is dictated by mother Nature and hindering those services is a VERY poor decision.

19. BrianWillan

BrianWillan Junior Member

Guess the City Council feels that using ear plugs while sleeping is too much trouble. :jester:

That's the problem with most elected officials. They all tend to be busy bodies with way too much time on their hands.

Cheers

Brian

20. Shop's Lawn

Shop's Lawn Senior Member

The ban would overall hurt alot of compaines! With my route/crew the normal 2-5" snow fall we get in western WI takes us about 10 hours. I would say 80% percent we are plowing through-out the whole nite. Yea a company I used to work lost a big townhome account this year for shoveling at 4am- it is a community/old folks home and they always complained- never know the whole story or if there was other complaints on different subjects but thats just what I was told by there employee.