1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Roads vs. Lots

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tony3o, Oct 23, 2006.

1. tony3o

tony3o Junior Member

Hello All,

I'd like to get some opinions on what you think is harder on a truck, "Plowing a road or plowing a parking lot." I think each has their own pros and cons but, at the end of a storm what's going to put more wear and tear on the truck?

Right now I use a small salter and load a pallet of bagged salt before I head out to plow, mostly small lots and small developments 12-15 hours total. However, recently an opportunity came up for me to work with the county plowing secondary roads.

I'm only guessing but, on my normal route I figure I have a "plowing working load" on the truck maybe 50% of the time. This factors in travel time, time when the blade is up, and the time that I'm just salting.

I foresee plowing for the county to place the truck under a "plowing working load" closer to 90% because the only time the blade will be up is when I'm headed back to the yard to refill the v-box.

I realize there are many more questions that arise and appreciate all comments but I'm really interested in what experiences people have about plowing roads vs. small parking lots and the wear on the truck.

Thanks,
    Tony
    Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab 4x4

2. VAhighwayman

VAhighwayman Senior Member

Hi Tony..
    Well..6 or half dozen to the other..your gonna have wear and tear either way..if your gonna do roads..be prepared to wear down your cutting edge quickly..unless you prepare your blade with a carbide edge which is very costly..the road trucks usually and mostly have a carbide blade on the plow with a steel cutting edge bolted over the top leaving the carbide touching the road surface..and do yourself a favor if you decide to do roads..get to know the roads on your route..that seems to be a first concern with some plow contractors of where the shoulder of the road is..I always said for them not to worry..the shoulder will find you if your not careful..As far as lots..besides some aggrivation at times..there is still alot of wear on your transmission and or clutch depending on tranny with the constent forward and reverse going on...not to mention the engine..and you have to factor in fuel expense..seems that if your doing lots..you tend to use more fuel..but I can go on with other stuff..but it all boils down to cash flow into your pocket and what you have left after expenses. I've done both for many years and i'd do the townships or counties if I had the chance. Good luck with whatever way you choose.

Garry