1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

road plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jay741, Feb 7, 2009.

1. jay741

jay741 Junior Member

hey how many of you guys plow for the town. (streets) how much money do u make??? and what size plows do u run???

2. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I run an 8' straight blade. They pay us more if we have a helper with us, just about $80/hr. The nice thing is i get called very early and you work every storm. Thats why i switched from the private guy i subbed for, he would call sometimes, and really cut back our hours. I asked the same question here a few months ago b4 i switched and a bunch of guys here do it. BTW they pay by GVWR. I'm just under 10k, they pay more for over 10K, like a dually or 1 ton dump

3. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

i plow for the township in their trucks....10' straight blade with a 7' wing on an F550

4. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I plowed for my town last year, beat the piss outa my plow. pay was $75.00/hour and the called us in last min and cut us asap but there was a 3 hour min.

My town will let anything plow even a half ton the only thing was min 7' blade

I had a 8'6" blade and should have argued for the same pay as a bigger truck with a smaller blade, a dually with an 8' blade would have been paid more money then my single rear wheel 2500hd

5. plows&tattoos

plows&tattoos Junior Member
    from RI

Depending on what you run depends on what you make in RI. As far as I know everyone in RI now requires a Minium $500,000 libality policy and not to be a pessimist but at 17 yrs old even with the winter we are having your probally looking at 3 years or so to break even if all your equiptment is bought and paid for. If your running 16,000gvw 6 wheeler with sander it pays about $125 per hr. If your running a standard pickup 7000gvw 4x4 it pays $65 per hr

6. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

Cumberland, RI requires $500,000 liabillity and pays $70. eight foot, $75. nine foot and $80. ten foot. (although I've heard conflicting reports) and they don't require sanders. The town owned trucks handle sand.

7. MattyK

MattyK Senior Member
    from Boston

how does one get into plowing for their town. do you have to submit an app and resume or is it more lax where you just go to the dpw and say, here's my truck, here's my number, here's my insurance, where do i start?

8. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

My town puts an add in the paper and you have so many weeks to reply and its a first come first serve kinda deal. They don't even really care about your truck and plowing insurace is not needed

9. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

guess it depends on the town.. the one i plow for had an app packet and you neeeded to provide proffof insurance, proof of workmans comp(if youre not driving the truck), and a tare weight certificate on the truck. then if thw app was accepted you had to come by for them to "inspect" the truck

id say just give your dpw a call and see how theyre process works.

10. plows&tattoos

from RI

Most here in RI advertise in the local papers usually in Oct. or November. They all are very helpful in telling you what you need as far as paperwork, Insurance (liability, Workers Comp), Approiate tax documentation. Some towns look throughout the season for help others have a closing date usually sometime in November. Most towns websites will also give info on plowing pay etc. Also the towns I deal and have dealt with also require the truck to be inspected at thier facility and for them to determine if it is acceptable for thier use. One key factor to remember is as a contractor for the town, the towns assume no fault so make sure to be covered the last thing you need is for Miss Jones whose mail box you took out to somehow trip over the splintered mailbox post endup in a body cast and you to find out your not covered.

11. plows&tattoos

from RI

also not all towns in RI use subs

12. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Plows&tats You ever get a Tat at Bambu in Providence above Hell?

13. plows&tattoos

from RI

I have not but some of my friends have. They do good work from what I've seen and I wouldn't be opposed to going to them but I have some friends who own shops that I've grown up with and I try to stay loyal to them.

14. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

By me theyll take you in anytime as they are really low on trucks. I got on just after the new year and have had a lot of work since. They needed 300/300 liability with a commercial certificate naming them as the iterested party, and the truck inspection was maybe 2 minutes. All they cared about was if it ran and what size plow. They pay by the gvwr on the registration. All in all im glad i switched from the private guy i subbed for. payup

15. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

City I used to live has a $1 Mil liability requirement as does my state I'm told. They had a list of people- you had to submit to the DPW to be on the list and eventually they'd run through the list, Might take 5 years before you're called.

Looking into my new town (next one over), but it seems they have the DPW and town departments with resources to cover it. I didn't see any contractors yet this season.

16. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

My town has their dumps take care of the mains and the sanding, and we do all the side streets. As i mentioned before theyre really low on subs, so the town trucks end up helping with the sides.

17. plows&tattoos

from RI

Municipal plowing for me is alot easier. The cities and towns usually pay within 2 to 4 weeks no chasing them around. They call you in so there is never an argument about triggers, the only downfall is you have to do alot of homework to figure out who pays better, if anyone has a guarentee minium if they call you in, and alot of small other things that some find important and others dont. As with anything do your homework. And again not all towns use contractors

18. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

My friend Melisa Works there, I am going to get her to paint my plow this spring.