1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Road Plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Greenkeepers, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers Member

Hey all-

Got a call in the office today and a HOA wants me to plow just their roads. I've never priced it out that way and wanted to get some info off of you all.. The road distance is around 1.3 miles with 3 cul de sacs and the width of the road is 20ft. They also want salted when needed. Any help would be appreciated, I have to try to get back to him tomorrow (Sun).

Thanks Again,
  2. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

I'm not sure where you are located (which can make a difference) but my non-residential accounts, which include 2 schools, small commercial centers, etc. are based on an hourly rate, ($65.00 per hour) and the time it will take to do the job. If they are willing to sign a seasonal contract I will give them a block of time at a slightly reduced rate. Once that block of time has been used up it goes to the regular rate per hour. This way if it is a light year they are not resentful later, and ifb it is a big winter I don't loose either.
  3. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

HOA's are about 80% of our plowing business. We charge by the mile or by the hour, however they prefer to do it. To calculate this( by the mile) is easy. 1 hour per mile of road 2-6" / 1.5hrs 6.001 to 10". From 10+" we go to a per hour charge. Hoa's like this because it makes it easier to budget winter expenses and they know what the are going to be charged each time ( until it hits the 10+ rate). For the Cul-de-sac we factor in 30minutes for each..so.. 3@30 min = 1.5 hrs x $00.00* ( your hrly rate). Heres a TIP for HOA plowing...:D In the break-out run a V blade in front and then have a straight on each side, in most cases we can clear all roads in one pass.
  4. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers Member

Thanks for the advice Kip... Sorry to question you but how do you figure it takes an hour to run a mile. we don't have to worry about any drives and the cul-de-sacs have islands in them so we can just drive around them.. Please steer me where I went off of my figuring....:confused: