1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rivet Nuts

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Lazer Man, Dec 25, 2002.

1. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

I picked up a set of Chevy westcoasters for my 3500 got tired of the lousy small mirrors. The set comes with rivet nuts to attach the mirrors to the doors. I'm asking the best way to install the nuts, do I need to purchase a rivet gun or can I drill the holes install the nut and slowly tighten up the mounting bolt into the nut? The size of the nut is M8 x 1.25 mm x 20.4mm the hole I'll drill is 13.5 mm . Would just slowly tighting do the job? I don't want to goof this up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob:D :D

Last edited: Dec 25, 2002
  2. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

Here is a pic of the nut I'm talkin about. [​IMG]

3. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I have a piece of pipe flattened on one end, copper should work. Drill a hole large enough for your bolt to go thru.
    Place the bolt thru the hole and thread the rivit nut to it. Push it into your drilled hole and tighten the bolt as you hold onto the pipe.
    I have used this for many years and never had a problem. Just dont tighten too much as you may pull the threads out of the nut.
    Good luck and hope ya had a merry christmas
    Mark K