1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ripping the selant off black top?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bob21, Feb 4, 2003.

1. bob21

bob21 Junior Member
    from ohio

my buddy plows snow and one of his customers said that he took the sealent off the black top drive way. i thought that it soaked up into the blacktop what do u think?

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I think the sealer wasn't properly applied.
  3. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

wow, that must have been some coat of sealer.
  4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Unless he was using a rotating wire wheel to remove snow, odds are that the sealer was applied over a contaminated surface. IE dust and dirt.
  5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

At least they cant say he didnt scrape is to bare blacktop!I'm guessing the guy who coated it didnt use a blower before he applied?
  6. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

Well, the scraping of the blade can scrape it down to the asphalt on the higher spots where contact pressure is focused on smaller bands, just abrasion so to speak. No different from a shovel, really. It shouldn't be peeling or anything, though. Sunlight wears it off, car tires wear it off, and darn straight a snowplow is gonna wear it off. That's why we have to do it every two years. Hell, some people in my neighborhood do it EVERY year. Nothing your friend can do short of not plowing the driveway. If they try to stick your buddy with a re-sealing bill, it sounds like a drop-and-warn account. Let them shovel it themselves and still watch it wear off. My two cents.
  7. SDM Landscaping

SDM Landscaping Junior Member

hey i'm a newb but i can stand in on this one. I have a Blawnox Sealing machine too. The only way sealer should peal is if its applied in cold weather where it didnt adhear to the blacktop, or if it was applied over a dusty surface. The dust and dirt between prevents the two from joining and it will peal up with a kick of the boot no to mention a plow. The guy should call the company who sealed it and complain to them. If they are a quality firm they should come out and fix it or seal everything again for a discounted price. Its a high profit business, its no skin off their back to do alittle extra cause they messed up the first time.
    I hope this helps and i'm glad to share my knowledge of the topic
  8. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Scott,i did a lot of blacktopping in my municipality days and was wondering what you use for sealer on a commercial level,i'm guessing its better than home depot etc.,you also stated high profit,this stuff is cheap?just curious,thanks
  9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

On a lot of my paved drives the rough ones I scrape the sealer off the little ridges/bumps turning it from black to a sorta gray, just like the roads. No one has complained (except for the lady last year I dropped becasue of that). Plowing & scraping to the blacktop 20 or so times a year will do that. Driveways sould be resealed every couple years, unfortunatly most people don't bother with the maintnence & wonder why it cracks up. Or drive on it right after it's been sealed.
    This is something I've always wanted to learn more about & possibly add on / get into one day.
  10. Crazygator

Crazygator Member
    from TN

I agree 100%. I have worked with a guy that seals blacktop as well. A plow should not be able to peel it up. He probably was given what we are finding down here, the "Razor coat" bid too. Which means a very thin coat all watered down and wont last any time. This also falls under the lowball and no quality scrub area too.

And like others have said, maybe it was sprayed down on dirty and unpreped pavement. It falls under the warrenty of the sealer guys, not the plow guys!

We always take steel brooms, metal scrapers and Little Wonders or Billy Goat blowers to totally clean off the area.
  11. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

old cracked sealer will peel up over time.the sealer tends to peel up at the cracks then over time of plowing it slowly peels it up.its happened to me.thats why i don't cover driveway damage
  12. bob21

bob21 Junior Member
    from ohio

thanks alot but the drive is not that bad it still looks new an everything what a joke!
  13. mowmannnn

mowmannnn Banned

My Grandma's driveway is blacktop and is rather scraped up from my snowplow. I told her we would have it re-sealed this summer, because I will have my U-Edge on for next year! What is a good product to re-seal with? Any suggestions?
  14. Crazygator

Crazygator Member
    from TN

I would suggest hiring someone to spray it. It goes on much more even and usually isnt to expensive. Average drives here run from $100-$150.

Spraying is so much better. Just my thoughts.

But if you just have to do it, see if you have someone around there that sells Star Seal. Thats what my friend uses.
  15. mowmannnn

mowmannnn Banned

16. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I don'y know brand names, but stay away from the glossy black stuff. It doesn't hold up well and is extremely slippery when wet.

My friend (with the Oshkosh) does sealcoating and his sealer is flat black and has sand mixed in for traction. My mom had her driveway done and it held up for 4 to 5 years. I'll find out the name for you.
  17. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

MAC 52

Let's just say $10 can bring you $100

For the thread, what wore off was the thin coat that was applied.

He shaved off the high spots, and these people are cheap.

This is one of those defective clauses you need to add to your contratcs. If you wear off the sealer and leave some white spots in it, it's a defective driveway.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2003
  18. bob21

bob21 Junior Member
    from ohio

what can my buddy do to get out of paying for this drive because when you call one of the paving co. around here they first ask if they did the work and then you tell them no they all have differnt things to say like yea it will scrape off or no it shouldnt and there is no happy medium also what kind of contract should he be writing up for next year to not be responsable for this

thank you very much
  19. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Snow removal can show signs of wear on pavemen. We are Not responsable for pavement wear, nor damages to uneven pavement, poor or broken pavment conditions.

The undersigned have acknolaged(sp) all terms and conditions of said company, and have singed off any liability of these terms and conditions.

Dump customer, and/or tell them he is not at fault. He can get sued but it is unlikey he will loose.
  20. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

im a driveway sealer

I know this thread was posted a while ago, but just thought you might still want to know why that happened.

theres few reasons.
    1 ) the last time the driveway was sealed, it might have been sealed using an acrylic sealer or water based. If the same driveway was ever in the past ( 1 - 2 years ) sealed with an oil based sealer, then the new one would come off easily. Acrylic or water based does not stick to oil based & vise versa.
    We always make sure we ask before we seal a driveway what the previous coating was,,, if they dont know,,,, it must get a 3500 psi wash before i seal. otherwise they'll trace it in the house on a really hot day.

2 ) second reason,,, sealer takes a full 30 days to cure, at times, homeowners like to seal the drive right before winter to achieve a protection barrier & a rich black look which attracts the suns and makes snow melt easily.
    If the sealer doesnt have 30 days to cure or penetrate & or the weather doesnt stay above 10 - 12 degrees overnight for the first few days,,, that seal coating will never stick properly.

3) finally,,, when they sealed it,,, they may have used oil based ( most common ) however the pavement might have been damp or wet,, and sealer will only attach if dry 100%.

those are a few reason why a driveway would peel,,, regularly plowing a sealed surface might scratch or leave scrape marks or even as we know carve the driveway,,,,, but sealer,,, when applied properly should for no reason at all, ever peel. there was a mistake made by whom ever sealed that surface.