1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ripped out my stakes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnowFakers, Nov 24, 2013.

1. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I just got off the phone with a gentleman who was screaming at me for nailing some stakes into his lawn to show me where the driveway was. The lawn is perfectly flat to the drive so I figured it was going to be difficult to determine where it was when we had snow on the ground. Apparently he didn't like that I just came and put them in and decided to take them out and throw them in the garbage. He claimed that in 15 years of living in his house he had never had anyone stake his driveway, and what kind of an amateur could I be if I need guidelines to follow. I explained nicely to him that he would need to find another contractor for snow removal this year. That got him even more angry. Has anyone ever had a customer not want you to put up markers? I was only trying to reduce the risk of ripping up his lawn. Alright rant over.

2. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Why not just tell him you're not responsible for plow damage, I explained to customers I wasn't responsible for property damage and if that worked fine, if not to find someone else. I've never staked a property and have never had a complaint about property damage (knock on wood)

3. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

I make my customers either buy the stakes ( through me) or sign a waiver saying I am not responsible for the damage to their property... most choose to buy the stakes !

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I stake driveways the first couple years I have them. Some driveways the home owner stakes them well before I normally would. I've never had someone complain about them or ask why I need them. I would have no problem dealing with the customer if they called and asked about the stakes before doing anything with them. If a customer called me upset about the stakes and they took the initiative to pull them all out and throw them away without ever saying a word to me I would without a doubt tell them to look for a new contractor. I would also inform the others I know who plow snow to steer clear. If the customer doesn't like the stakes and snow hasn't even fallen yet, what else are they going to complain about after it starts snowing and service has started. They could easily be a pita who calls about every little thing and then pays late on top of it.

5. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I felt I made the right move in dropping him. I just didn't understand the outrage just over plow stakes. I will start coming up with something to let people know im not responsible for damage. Sounds like a very good idea

6. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

At least put in your contract that you have the right to install stakes if your feel the need.

7. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Sounds like a good idea aswell. Im rewriting some things as we speak

8. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Another good one.

"I am not responsible for damage to your wimpy plants that lay down onto the driveway when there is snow on them :D"

9. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

:nod::nod::nod: Yes you did. Because if the customer is complaining about your job BEFORE the snow has even fallen, you're in for a LONG season.
    He's probably the type of person who expects you to shovel around his car when he leaves it in the driveway.

-I wonder why he switched from his previous contractor..

10. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

The contractor probably threw down some ice-melt on the front steps as a courtesy lol

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Last guy had the nerve to charge him for plowing

12. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  13. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I love Kramer, hes my favorite.

14. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I know, right. Can't believe he's getting another show, lol. I wonder what the standard "time out" is for celebs & if Paula Dean's will take as long as Kramer's did? I hope not.

15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I stake/mark every property I have, while in the bidding process and in my contract this is covered. I also say all tree branches that hang over parking lots, driveways and sidewalks must be at least 7 feet off the ground and bushes must be trimmed back too.
    If someone asks you why you stake/mark property’s say, “it’s to reduce risk of damaging the property and my equipment”.

16. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

You definitely made the right decision to drop him! Some people just cannot be pleased! Clearly, this guy is one of those. Let him be someone else's problem.

17. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Send him an invoice for the stakes.

18. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

I put this in my contracts.

The Customer is responsible to install marker stakes along Customer driveway to help protect the lawn and other property from plow damage.
    If marker stakes are not installed, Contractor is not responsible for any lawn damage.

19. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I plan to. I don't charge any other people especially since I get them for free but this guy deserves it. Plus I take them out and keep them after the season is over

20. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I wouldn't bother, pretty good chance he will toss the invoice and it won't be worth the time/aggravation to collect the money just my .02.