1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rip the blade right off

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by obrut, Nov 26, 2002.

1. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

I was plowing a friends driveway and was luckly going slow in reverse when the blade came off. The pivot point pins snapped right off. They seem to be rusted in pretty good, i don't think they were even pivoting which is why the probably snapped. Its not fun to get out of your truck to see you blade laying right on its back :mad: Just one more thing to fix.

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Sounds like a Meyer. Those pins are not greasable and rust over time, and then just snap without warning.
    Dino

3. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

yep good old meyers, well not so good anymore.

4. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Trust me it's alot better than having it break off when your going forward. Good ole meyer's for ya.

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I remember the first time that happened to a friend of mine. I got a call and he said, Dude the plow blade just fell off the truck.
    I thought the whole subframe fell off, but when I got there, sure enough, the moldboard was hanging from just the center pivot bolt.
    AHHHHHH, good ole Meyers, dealers love selling them, good for the parts business.
    Dino

6. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Interesting thing about Meyer Plows. In Staten Island most are Meyers. I like Fisher but I have to travel for parts....but then again I'm on my 2nd Fisher and haven't broke it yet. I just sold my Bronco II with the Meyer. I'm down to just the F150 now. Got a Meyer for an S10 if anyone is interested. Complete.

7. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

sounds like this happens alot, i would have really pissed if i was going forward and it happened. Probably would have screw the truck up too.

8. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Not greasable ???????

I had a old timer show me 28 yrs. ago what he did after a pin broke on him.

Maybe not from the factory but easy do make greasable. Pull the pins & sand clean, now drill 2 holes in the pin sleeve & put in 2 zerk fittings & re install pins. ;)

It will help as I ran myers for my first 25 yrs. & never broke a pin. :eek: It's just like a guy I knew that broke spings every year. He let his plow sit out all year & the springs rusted & after 1/2 of the season they broke. I showed him by soaking them with a oil filled rag 2 to 3 time a year they wouldn't brake as often, he didn't brake another spring for 4 yrs.

FYI: You can do the same thing to garage door springs once a yr. & make them last almost forever.:waving:

9. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

That happened to me the very first time I was out. I stopped and raised the blade and couldn't figure out why I couldn't see the top of it, and why the markers were just kinda bobbing around out there like a bobblehead doll. Got out and found the blade dangling over the sector, hanging by the springs. :(