1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rip off!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Banksy, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I went to go look at a 1989 Chevy 2500 today that my buddy found the other day at a little used car dealership. It has a 7.5 fisher mm, 5 speed and the body is beat. 128,000 miles and I am thinking ok maybe a couple grand. ME-"how much for that red chevy?" Girl in office-"you mean the one with the snow thing? Umm $4900.00." ME-"What?! Umm no thanks, that thing is not worth half that, thanks anyway". Why are people so damn out of touch with reality when pricing vehicles? Am I wrong or is that way to much for that truck?

2. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

kbb shows it at $3200 in excellent condition ..slightly out of touch indeed. Dealers do like to gouge anything with a plow though.

3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

they just dont know they see a plow or something else out of the ordinary and thin k that it raises the value of the vehicle

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I looked at kbb also and printed off the page if I were to go back, but a nice Javelin bass boat has my eye now :nod: and spring and summer are right around the corner. This truck was only the second one I have seen here for sale with a plow in 4.5 years. The other was an 89 F250 and that guy wanted $6500 and it was also beat! They must have smoked a nice bone before making a price.

5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Consider the pricing perspective. You are in the business of plowing and have a knowledge of the worth and are not truly in need. They are selling the truck knowing there are people wanting to get into the business and this price is far cheaper than buying a new rig and new plow. Someone will drop the cash and later realize they learned a lesson.

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That is exacly right ScottL. We have not gotten no snow yet this winter and I am sure we won't. I would like a second truck, so getting one with a plow would just be a bonus, not a requirement. So, it is easy to pass on a crap deal.

7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

You are looking at it from the wrong way. I certainly don't think the price is so badly out of line that it needs its own amazement thread! Now if he was asking $15k or something :eek: ...anyways...

If it is certifiable and passes any local emission testing, and everything works (unless it is a total rustbucket, and I mean a Northern rustbucket) then it is worth it to someone...

Why? Because by the time they offer $4k, pay their licensing/taxes/fees they can have a work-ready plow truck for under five grand. $20 worth of cheap paint and a little elbow grease can have the plow looking great and the body touched up and presentable (remember, most of these trucks work at night anyways). If say the average 'Newbie' plower can make himself $500 profit a night, not hard to do, then in ten plowings he has paid for his equipment. After that, the rest is gravy. So what if it only 'lasts' him 2-3 years?

But now you're all going to say "But its OLD so its unreliable" which is the same thing I have been saying BS to ever since I joined this board. Older is simpler, less to go wrong, and cheap to fix when it does. If the buyer has any kind of mechanical experience then fixing it will be no trouble. The tranny is the most expensive 'common' failure, and since it is a five speed manual it should have no trouble for many many miles. Maybe a clutch, what, $250 in parts and an afternoon in labour? Maybe front axle shafts? Dunno. Betting the engine is a TBI 350 so not much to go bad there, and cheap cheap cheap if there is.

The KBB is a joke. They are there to help people with no automotive knowledge establish a baseline price for an item--it is not gospel! I put about as much faith in them as I do in the "Lemon Aid" series of books.

Let me put it in perspective for you.

I have a friend who runs a vineyard management company. They recently retired (october) an '88 2wd with the same equipment. They paid $6k for it in '96, which was an absolute steal since the mileage was low, body decent, one owner used only to carry his camper... I've talked about this truck before.

From that day on, the truck spent every day of its life overloaded. Full fuel transfer tank and loaded toolbox never came off, ever, not including filling the bed (think skids of spray chemicals etc.) or pulling the trailer with 4x4 vineyard tractors (until 99-2000 or so when they bought a big Hino)... even after the daily towing ceased the truck was still driven daily for the company by employees, carrying supplies, bouncing thru fields with all that weight etc until last October. The truck has between 650-750000 km's on it (replacement speedo quit!). Transmission and axle are original, engine rebuilt once. A couple grand over ten years for 2 or 3 clutches, starters, and sets of brakes. One distributor. One set of shocks. One body job (I did it for them in '99). Still has the same (stainless) exhaust the truck came with in '96. Body is not rotted out so much as dented from uncaring drivers. Truck got an oil change about once a year... :eek: because the mechanics were busy with fleet repairs. It was retired for a head gasket, cracked frame (welded a few weeks before retirement), and a bad BFG A/T tire. Still passed e-testing the previous time with no problems.

So you see, 128k miles is nothing to worry about. Would I buy it? Probably not, I prefer the solid axle trucks.

Sorry about the novel. :D

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I have to say that I agree with you Derek, but I look at vehicles as what they are, not for what they may be able to do for me. Yes maybe it could be paid for in 10 storms, but it is still a beat looking truck, tape on one of the rear lights holding it in, a black primered tailgate that is lop-sided on a red truck that looks like it was painted with Krylon, dirty interior and oily all over underneath. I'd pay that price in a heart beat if it was in excellent shape, I don't care about the miles really, that is an easy truck to repair like you said. In 1996 I bought an '86 F250 (first truck 16 yrs old) 44K original miles, barely any rust, 8' fisher, auto, 351 for $3500. So the deals are out there, maybe that was just a lucky find for that one time. I know the guy who has it now and it was repainted (black bed and front fenders, Peterbilt red cab and hood) and all rust and dings repaired with new body panels, he said he will give it back to me for about 2grand after this winter. My 86 was 10 years old then, this one is now 17 yrs old. Does not make sense. I am sorry I started this stupid thread and I did not mean to make it headline news. Just dumbfounds me sometimes.