1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rinky Dinky Little driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Daner, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

The smaller the driveway the more of a pain It Is to do.

This year I got some small driveways to do...no where to turn around at the top...lotsa back draging , And the small circles are a real pain

How do you cope with a circle driveway that you cant even drive around the circle in one shot??...and they wonder why the price Is so high

2. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

You Just Have To Adapt, Adjust...

AND OVERCOME...!

Surely, you drove in there...so there has to be room to push some way or another...just do the best you can...back up and push...back up and push...until you've cleared as much as you can. I have a couple like this...they are a pain, but nothing that can't be done with a little patience and ingenuity...of course my SnoWay helps big time in the back dragging dept.!

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I use a Jeep for driveway spayup I don't do parking lots and complain they are to big:yow!:
    use the write tool for the job.

4. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

No Circle Drives

I won't even take circle drives. People call me crazy, but I use a F-350 Crew Cab (standard bed) and plow mostly driveways. But, none that are circles, or have sharp curves. There are plenty of straight drives out there, and I don't need the headache.

Potential customers sound confused when I tell them that their driveway is too short for me to plow! I do have about 4 that have to bag-dragged all the way to the street becuase it's too short. Next year I'll dump those.

It also doesn't help that it takes 3 miles to turn my truck around (horrible turning radius). But, whatever you do from the start will get you accustomed to handling it.

5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

either use a shovel or a snow blower on the circle drives. you will do more damage trying to use your truck.

6. theplowmeister

from MA

My Jeep dose no damage:D:D

7. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I love small drives. Ya they can be a pain but with the right equipment you can nock out 10 in an hour. The best would be a jeep, but for mine I mainly backdrag and I have a special shovel that I use for sidewalks and areas I cant get the plow into.

Its not hard to bring in $450 per hour doing small drives.

BTW: I dont know what the guy is talking about causing damage with circle drives, You need to know your truck and not be scared of it, oh and put some plowstakes in their lawn.I service plenty with my 2500HD and F350 Dulley. IMO its all about the driver and knowing the limits and where he can fit and where he cant. I cant even count how many times I could fit my 2500hd where ive seen guys not even put their jeeps. But next year im adding a jeep and a backblade for the 2500, since I had to turn an entire route down this year (over $3500 per storm).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  8. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Thats how I average $500-600 and hour for a 4-5 hour route with a Toyota 4x4 and 7ft Fisher. Small and difficult drives are our specialty. The F550 can't compete with it.

9. 04superduty

bla bla bla bla, :D i bet that jeep it fun in small drives, being able to turn around on a small street instead of doing a 35 point turn like i have to do just makes it that much better.

10. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

fullsized pickups are really just to big for residential drives you can't do them efficiently in lots of cases.

including my own. been thinking about that while trying to plow a couple that would be easier with a smaller vehicle. maybe a range rover? so why do almost all of us doing drives still use full sized pickups? duh.:dizzy:

11. theplowmeister

from MA

I can think of 2 reasons
    1) Testosterone
    2) Everybody says you have to use a 2500 truck.

Its hard to think outside the box

12. ChicagoPlower

ChicagoPlower Senior Member

For us, small driveways have turned out to be very profitable. In the first five or so years we had a bunch of nightmarish driveways that were taking forever to do with our full size trucks. But I guess you live and learn. We've ended up keeping all of our accounts in about a seven mile radius with three trucks, went to seasonal contract that comes out to ten plows, and try to use the right trucks for the right drives. I've got to admit, I get a charge out of driving around in my f-350 and plowing lots, but the little sonoma and jeep that we just bought end up making just as much if not more, and they're a lot less expensive. Back- plows have made things about 30% quicker as well.

13. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

But the main reason is......... There not just for pushing snow. There for pulling,hauling and all sorts of other stuff in the spring,summer and fall months as well. Not everyone can be cool enough and have 1 2 3 4........ trucks sitting around for 6-7 months of the year. On another note a jeep with a blade that has Down pressure would be SWEET payup

14. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Yep. I have two high end homes with circle drives. One has a fountain and boxwoods in a centerpiece.

Its the only resi I do that gets salt by request. Peledaow actually but I do that circle with a blower and plow what I can, same on the other one. I do a complete clean job and I dont care what kind of truck you have, you cant do a circle drive to my standards or what my clients have come to expect.

The thing you have to understand is that for a lot of plow guys getting out of the truck to do anything but take a leak and get a fresh brew is never gonna happen.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  15. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

I try to stay away from them - but the one I do have to do is twice as much $$$. To time consuming................

16. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I just wish teh plow companies would realize this and keep making commecial grade plows for smaller trucks.

17. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Curved driveways make me wish that my SRW 3500 had a 9' instead of an 8' plow because the circle is pretty messy half the time with me rolling over my windrows. Oh well... I have 2 of them. Also agreed that a shorter wheelbase, possibly smaller truck or Jeep would do quite well for these couple places.

18. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah not gonna help. I have the 810 and I still run that crap over. Std Cab and long box. So 9 feet or 8 feet not gonna make a difference. Sorry to burst your bubble.

19. 04superduty

depending on the size of the circle a rear pull plow would come in real handy. it would get what your front plow misses.

20. jdadjstr

jdadjstr Junior Member

My vote is with the Jeep! payup