1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ring and pinion

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ejaime23, Aug 6, 2003.

1. ejaime23

ejaime23 Junior Member
    from Texas

Hey there guys!! It's me once again having troubles as an amateur performance truck enthusiast. Anyway, I recently pulled off a ring and pinion of a suburban for my '81 pick up. I pulled some 3.73 gears to replace the 3.07 gears on the ole 12 bolt. The problem I'm realizing right now is that I noticed that the pinion from the 3.73 gears is narrower than the original pinion on the 3.07. I'm afraid that once I put the set in, the pinion wont be able to reach the ring gear and not turn or anything. The ring gears are the same size from both sets (with the obvious exception of the number of teeth), just the 2.73 pinion is wider as stated before. I was also wondering that if any of that series 3 and series 4 stuff had anything to do with sizes, seeing as how my original differential is a series 3 and I pulled the gears off of a series 4 truck. Well enough blabber, have any of you guys had this happen, will they fit, or did I just waste a lot of time with these gears. Thanks a lot in advance.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

The gearsets are different,and require a different case assy.They use one case (3 series case) for 2.79-3.42,and a different case (4 series case) for the 3.73 and up gears.

You either need a new case (maybe an aftermarket posi unit),or the right gears.I'm not sure if you can use a ring gear spacer or not.I know they have them for the car rears,but not sure on the truck rear.

You can get special gearsets (3.73 and up) that will fit your 3 series carrier.

3. ejaime23

ejaime23 Junior Member
    from Texas

Hey, thanks a lot for that info, kinda sucks though that I would have to get a new assy., but man, it seems like you're just THE man with all the answers, thanks a lot!!! Now, with all the talk about ring gears spacers and all, would the spacers from a 12 bolt car not work on my truck? It's a much easier/cheaper way out and I just checked out the Jegs site and they have some for cars and stuff. I am a college student with a VERY limited budget so the thought of having to buy a new assy or new gear set is just not within my reach. Just wondering if I could get away with this or not, thanks a lot fot your help!!

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

I have never seen the spacers listed for a truck.I do know the truck gearsets are different.I know the pinion diameter is different,but not sure on the ring gear.If the ring gears are the same,I'm sure the spacer should work.

Calling a gear set mfg or tech line would probably help.They would know if you could use a spacer,or they may have another solution.

Why didn't you grab the whole center section out of the other truck when you got the gearset ? Could you track it down ? If so you could just use it.