1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ring and pinion change

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Lone136, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

I ordered new ring and pinions for my truck tonight so they should be here next week. I went with 456. Would like to know if any one here has done the same thing and what gear you went with

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

456 as a very tall gear, unless you are putting very big tires on your truck. Also make sure your carrier can accommodate the 456's. What is current ratio?

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Why bother to ask opinions if you already ordered?

4.56 is usually considered a short gear

4. kimber750

You are correct, thank you for the correction. Still think 456 is way too much gear unless he is going rock crawling.

5. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

Right now I have 355 gears in the truck, but the kicker is I have 35's on the truck. I did push snow with the truck last year. It seed to have to work very hard and I'm also thinking of the trans. I had someone say I should go with 488's

6. kimber750

Some where there is a formula to figure out what gears would be needed. Been awhile since I looked into any of this.

7. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

4:56 will be fine with 35's
    what year truck, what motor, what trans?
    You could have the computer reprogrammed for the tire size.

8. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

It's a 99 1500 with a 9.25 rear and a Dana 44 in front. It's has the 360stroked to a 408 with a Monster Trans. Can't remember the Trans number right off hand. Would have to pull the paper work and see.

9. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

4:56's with 35" tires is a good combo......I think you will be very pleased.

10. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

Got a E-mail last night. Gears were mailed out today. Now have to set up at time to get them installed.I sure hope I will be able to feel and see the difference.

11. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

you will be golden. Here is a gear chart. This chart represents a v8 with a 1:1 final drive on the trans. At 65 mph.

Look for your gear and then what the stock size tire was. That will show you what you were stock. The idea is that when you go up in tire size, you want to keep the rpm in the same range by increasing gear.

[​IMG]

12. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

You will love your truck after this is done. FYI the current Powerwagon runs 4.56's with 32/33" tires. Today's transmission ratio's are much more favorable to a shorter gearing in the diff's.

13. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

she will be a rocket ship from 3.55 now to 4.56 when you hit the gas.

and as said better check the carriers specs for the gears you ordered. there is carrier splits for gear ratios to fit on them and line up.

what all did you get ? were you order from ? and what brands ?

hope 2 sets of gears and 2 master install kits at a min. also best to do 2 rear axle bearings as thay tend NOT to come with master kits and 2 seals for the axles at the bearings . no since doin 98% and skip the last 2 items.

and if i recall the rear takes a special tool to adjust the preload of the carrier bearings.

you doin your self ? if so its not a just bolt in job by any means.

if shop job get few prices and good shop to do it.

here is a basic on gear setup in the bigger dana 60 front axle but give you some real good idea on what it takes. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/ good site for info but watch your self on stupid questions or NOT searching. thay hate that with a passion.