1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rims and tires

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mycave, Jan 18, 2000.

1. mycave

mycave Junior Member

I am planning to get new tires and rims probally going to put 33's on. What Im wandering will i need to lift my truck or will stock suspension be ok? if not will a 4 inch be enough

2. kellerk

kellerk Junior Member

i have a chevy with 9&quot; of lift I mean 6&quot; suspension and 3&quot; body. and i am running 35' tires. So it would be best to do the 4' suspension so if you go off road you will have plenty of highth so you don't scube your wheel well to hell and back, and mest your tires up. I plan on going to a 39&quot; tire and i would have room to spaire. but not much. but i am saying is that it is better to be safe then soory!!<br>

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Depends on what truck you have. If it is a 1/2 ton you will need at least 2&quot; of lift, a heavy duty 3/4 or one ton, you may be able to get by with out a lift.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

4. Abe

Abe Member

I have a 78 3/4 ton camper special 4x4, (the heavy duty'est of the 3/4 ton line for that year)<p>you will be fine with 4&quot; suspension lift if you want to run 33x12.50's<p>i recommend the pro comp lift, did a great job on the 77 i just sold<p>and I am going to install one on my 78 in the next few months<br><p>----------<br>Better to spend a little more and save the headache later!<br>

5. sparky

sparky Junior Member

I own an'84 GMC 1/2 ton. I bought the truck with 33/12.50's on 12&quot; rims and no lift. There was no problem for clearance except when twisting the suspension with the wheels slightly turned. I now have a 2.5&quot; lift up front and a 3&quot; lift in the rear. I ran some worn out 35's with this setup without problem. Again the key here is on road only. I'm now back to 33's on 10&quot; rims and It's a great setup. You can check out these setups at www.geocities.com/landrye72.

6. frahmie

frahmie Junior Member

I had a 91 chevy 1/2ton with 33x12.5`s bfg all-terrians and they only rubbe when the wheels were turned while backing up. I don`t know what year your truck is, but the 73-87 years are fairly easy to put a 4&quot; lift on. trail master and skyjacker make a good lift for the money.

7. Farmboy

Farmboy Junior Member

I'm strugling with rims for my 05 chevy 1 ton single wheel, I want to use BFG all terrain T/A KO's and upsize to 285's but need at least a 7.5" wide rim (per BFG), I haven't found any that have the weight rating, at least 3415 to handle the tires and the load I carry during the summer. Anyone been down this road?

8. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I was just running BFG all terrain's 285/75/16 on my stock rims. They were load range E as well. But I cranked the T bars to make them fit in the front

9. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I have 285's on mine, no rubbing no lift and I didn't touch the tbars

10. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Is your a 2007 classic or new body style. Mine is the new body style and it makes a difference. The wheel wells are different