1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

RIGID Lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mark Oomkes, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

OK, so I've been using SoundOff work lights and while the ones made in the US are better than the Chinese crap they resell, I am a bit sick of replacing work lights on salt trucks. SoundOff has warranted them, but it's getting a bit ridiculous.

So, should I go with the Marine LED's (especially on my Bobcats) for use on salt trucks--especially for spinner lights or have the normal LED work lights from RIGID been holding up for these types of uses?
  2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

The set of normal black Dually 2's that I installed are 5 years old. They are the flush mount meaning the backs are face inward towards the tires. Holes are cut into bumper.I've been rear end 3 times, each one taking a Direct hit.

They both work like I installed them yesterday.
  3. Mark Oomkes

How aboot the front ones? Have they taken a direct hit? :laughing::laughing::laughing:
  4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Well yes, this morning they did.
  5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

For corrosion there are varying degrees of Salt Spray test that are used to rate a product's ability to resist corrosion. Time, percentage salinity, temperature and humidity is used to determine the rating.

For water egress or resistance electrical components under go IP testing, submersion depth, time, and water pressure is used to determine the rating. IP67 is what you want to look for in a outdoor light that is subjected to the elements.

Before you buy a "marine grade" product you may want to research how it was tested and the ratings it has. Some mfr may paint the lights white and call the marine grade and charge more.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Seward Aqua do have an IP67 rating.
  7. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

This is good unless you park the skid in a pond.........:whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:
  9. Mark Oomkes

Depends on whether the pond is brackish or not.
  10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

That would be a variable that could be an issue.......
  11. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

...and are licensed for such.
  12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

My pickup has 2 Rigid Dually D2's under the flatbed, they've been there since 2012 when it was new and still work perfect. Had a salter on it for a couple years until I got the truck and they haven't given me a bit of trouble.

I was using the Strobesnmore house brand ones on my other pickup, 1 light lost 3 leds and was warrantied, the other has been fine but they've now been off a truck for a year so who knows what shape they're in.
  13. Lifetimeledlights.com.
  14. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

I've had very good luck with Rough country lights, little cheaper than Rigid, and have held up great.
  15. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

The rigid lights are pretty nice, just need to be careful about leaving leaving the ones on that face backwards or else you'll piss off the guy behind you :whistling:
    If you do go with the rigids, purchase them on Amazon, they're usually cheaper there than directly from the website.

Also, someone mentioned truck lights; they bought out rigid industries last year.

I know it's not what you're looking for, but here's a picture of my front light, it's the 20" e2 driving.
    I also have one D2 HD driving for the back just haven't hooked it up on this truck yet

16. Mark Oomkes

Thanks for the info so far.

What I am looking for though, is not necessarily something with a great warranty, because warranties don't keep the lights functioning. I want lights that I don't have to use the warranty for.

I think I might try a couple from Seward and a couple from RIGID......the marine grade and see what happens.
  17. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

18. GLS

GLS Senior Member

What model soundoff lights are you having trouble with?

We've been running the 4" square 1,000 lumen lights (https://www.soundoffsignal.com/product/1000-lumen-4-square-work-light/).

Bought the first set in 2010, and I think we have a total of 11 to date. Most are older.

They have held up really well. Even the ones mounted under bumper near salt spreader. I'm shocked they haven't given us trouble yet. I told myself we weren't allowed to consider a different brand because these have proven themselves (they are a little pricey).

Disappointed that you're having trouble.
  19. Mark Oomkes

Ummmm, not those. lol

I believe these:

To be fair, the reps at the NTEA show told me to stop buying them because they're Chinese made (big surprise) so they have no control over manufacturing.

Looks like they aren't making the exact same style round ones, which have been better, but I'm still having some failures.

No problems getting them warranted, but it is a PITA replacing them.

Looking around their site, I see these round ones now meet IP67 specs.

20. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Yesterday I saw one in place of a trailer ball that was plugged in to the trailer light
    plug. Im guessing you can get reverse lights through that plug? Who sells them?