1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

right size plow for driveways?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NHplwguy77, Jan 18, 2009.

1. NHplwguy77

NHplwguy77 Member

i am looking at buying a one ton dump with a 9 ft plow. do any of you guys use a 9ft for residential driveways and does it work good or is it to big and should i look for an 8 ft plow?

thanks

2. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

I run a 9'er on my 1 ton. I plow allot of gravel drives, a few open areas, Make a huge saving in time over 8'ers.
    Where abouts are you in N.H.? I live in Danbury, about half way between Laconia, & Lebonon, NH Rt. 104, and US Rt. 4.
    Harold.
    hknottwelldanbury@yahoo.com

3. NHplwguy77

NHplwguy77 Member

im in gilford

4. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

Cool what are you looking at for a truck?

5. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Love my 9'2" Boss V for driveways.

6. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

We plow a few hundred drives with nothing smaller than 8.5', whether they be Vs or straight blades. 1 ton drw trucks arent the most agile vehicles in tight places, but I guess it could be done and the visibility of a dump wouldnt be great in drives either. I would find a srw and an 8.5 or larger plow.

JMO

7. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 8ft straight blade that we used to use to plow drives. Good size for smaller drives. Now I have 2 8.5ft V's that we use, and those are perfect sized. Could probably go to a 9ft straight blade, but I like being able to fit in a few tight spots. I personally think that you would be fine with a 9 footer. Really depends on the drives.

8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

My 9'2" works fine. Although I do have a tough time in one of my drives that is a tight U shape.

9. I'm using an 8' Western and that is big enough IMHO... I sometimes have to get beside a car parked in the driveway and any bigger than an 8' would cause me to have to get out and shovel.

10. BuckeyeSiteWork

BuckeyeSiteWork Junior Member

I run a Western Pro Plus 7.5 with western wings makes it 8.5. Wouldnt want anything smaller, and wouldnt consider a plain straight blade, gotta have wings or scoop (V-plow). Just my opinion!!

11. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

i think it's an over kill for the big plow and the truck.

12. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

For the gilford area I think it would be just fine, imo tho get a v blade esp up there...

13. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

i have a 8.2 V and think its great. personally i think the larger blades will be wasted, you have to generally make atleast two passes anyway so why bother with the lack of agility a larger blade will give you.

i have drives that i barely fit in angled or V'ed, i couldnt imagine trying to squeeze a 9'er + in them.

although if you would have alot of drives that a 9'er would let you only have to make one pass down the main i could see the time savings...but like i said in the real world atleast 2 passes are the norm.

14. Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday Member

I thought about this the other nite. I have many residentials in a line. Watched a guy with a 1 ton Dodge dump with a blizzard plow and a sander. It took him as long to do 1 easy house as it took me to do the street(4 residentials) i have never put a truck with more than a 8ft plow on that route. It works out at 350 per hour soooo... no big trucks. I may suffer a bit on the commercial end......but i dont think so. Watched a guy do a lot and i was doing 2 pushes to his 1 on a lot that was easy...Boss V with another Dodge(he is a great guy by the way). By the time he played with the controls i allready had another push.
    I really wanted a blizzard but i decided its not as quick as i am with a 8ft simply fisher.
    Been plowing with a fisher for 30+ years so i guess i just have it down.Just bought a 7 1/2 fisher new also..Its quick and easy.
    it aint the size...its the operator LOL

15. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

well sure, the bigger truck takes longer to back up, it's more clumsy, and its generally louder

16. scitown

scitown Senior Member

The other night while plowing and on the verge of going crazy I was pondering my ultimate plow rig for drives. SInce I used my truck as a backup landscape rig a custom jeep would be out. A single rear wheel 2500hd short bed (I dont think they make them). I would put a 7.5 fisher on it with wings or a v plow (I have an 8ft now on my 3500 srw) The 7.5 with wings would help alot on end of driveway cleanup. I also have a 7 ft snowman rear plow so the shorter rig would really help. I have a 1 ton dump without a plow. If I got one I would only do lots with it. It would have a 9 fter on it. If you are doing any backing down long drives and into streets a dump truck is just to big for my drives. While snowing an inch an hour your not seeing anything in your mirrors at 3am.

17. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

hell, we have over 100 residential drives and i used our 98 c3500 dump (8' dump with an L pack) it had a blizzard 810 on it. two backdrag passes then push the pile up onto the corner of the treelawn and it was done. visibility sucks, it has the tall narrow mirrors. but b/c the plow is so heavy it backdragged incredibly well even in 10' position, then id just scoop the plow and push the pile off the drive. now I use our 09 F350 crew cab long bed srw with a 9'2" boss v blade. the blizzard was still much faster b/c of the scoop ability and it cleaned the driveways better. You should of heard that thing screech when it was cleaning on concrete, I cringed at the noise myself, i can imagine the people trying to sleep!!

our other driveway rig is our 02 chevy 2500hd ext. cab short bed 6.0L with a meyer 8' straight. the dump got moved over to lot duty.