1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Right" equipment for my truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BPS LLC, Feb 9, 2011.

1. BPS LLC

BPS LLC Junior Member

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site. This is my second season plowing commercially with my skid as a sub. I have an S185 and an A300 with a Bobcat hydraulic plow, 8' pusher 10' pusher and snow buckets. As I've grown, I'm looking to set up my dump truck, but I've been holding back since its 2wd.

I have a 2005 F350 6 speed manual dump, with a 5.4 gas motor... If you guys think it is worth outfitting with a plow, I would like to hear your opinions...money isn't a factor as far as the plow goes.

Next year, I have the opportunity to do some MD county work. If a plow would be suitable for the truck, what size can the truck handle safely? Also, I need an electric under tailgate salt spreader. Is there a brand of plow that will stand up to doing roads better than say parking lots or driveways? I take care of my equipment and want it to last...I don't mind paying more initially as I will save in the long run...or should I scrap the idea until I buy my F550 4wd in a few years?

If its feasible, I'm figuring on about 10-12k to properly set up the truck. Am I in the ball park for chains, plow, spreader, beacon, etc?

2. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

It would be a decent parking lot truck with an 8' plow. You should get a v-box spreader for the back which would add extra weight helping your situation. The plow and spreader could be transferred tto a new 550 when you are ready. And I think you should be at least a couple thousand under your projected budget.

3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 Senior Member

I agree... 8' or so, you could add wings... I run an 8' Boss poly Super Duty(wings on it most of the time, so add 20" of width) on my '06 5.4 and it pushes it fine.

You'd be ok with the 2wd as long as you have enough weight in the back... I have a v-box salter in mine and when it's full, 4WD isn't needed for traction purposes.... Empty is a different story.... I wouldn't like to have a 2WD vehicle for plowing but you should be ok. Probably just need to be a bit more careful about where you drive it so you don't get stuck.

4. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

for open spaces and parking lots a 2wd should be fine as long as you have enough weight in the back for traction

5. mule585

mule585 Member

You need at least a 8-6 blade if its a duel rear wheel n have some type of weight in the bed I have 2ton of #1 crusher in my f350 n haven't used 4 wheel yet under normal plowing conditions now stacking n pushing back piles 4wd is a must

6. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I plowed with a 2wd for years. With a little bit of weight it's not a big deal. Especially if your only going to do roads with it. Not sure on the best plow for roads though, i would assume a trip edge would be better for doing city streets.