1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rig recommendations

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Dannoman, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Dannoman

Dannoman Junior Member
    from Iowa

Hey Guys,
    Have been thinking about starting out slowly just doing my work lot(60' x 120') and a couple residential drives.,,,,then picking up a few more jobs as I near retirement in the next ten years. I am in no hurry to take on a bunch of work the first few years.....just want to slowly get into it. Have done a little plowing in my younger days while working for a gas station, so I'm not totally green. Would like to get some feedback from you guys as to what setup(truck/plow) would work well for my immediate needs. Not looking to spend a ton of money starting out.....just want something that will do the job and not break down. Would like to stay in the 5k-10k range. Suggestions would be most a ppreciated.

2. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

You could get a million different answers on this one.

I would say start out with a 3/4 ton truck or bigger. I prefer diesel but it may not be in your price range. If you can find one with a V-blade, great. If not, get a straight blade and add wings if necessary.

You may want to look at a tailgate spreader as well. Also, every piece of equipment will break down at one point or another. You just have to roll with the punches and have a backup plan.
  3. 100InchHammer

100InchHammer Member

I plow with a 79 K10 Heavy Half, short bed, full time 4WD. Amazing plow truck! I have a cable operated Western plow on it. Total in the outfit is $3200, my other truck is a 95 F250, got about $4000 in it. Both are good trucks but I take the 79 Chevy over the F250.
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

For small lots and driveways you cant beet a Jeep. easy to see out of, short, tight turning. and can push snow
  5. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

look for truck then put a V plow on it.
  6. CV Hitch & Plow

CV Hitch & Plow Junior Member

if you dont want alot of up front costs, i would go with a 1999-2004 F-250, dont worry too much on the miles, anything with under 100k miles. get yourself a brand new straight blade. V plows are going to be more money and wont justify itself with residential and small commercial applications. When you out grow your straight blade, then step up the features. i would get a Blizzard 8000HD and then when you want more features and have the lot to justify it, you can upgrade to an 8600 speedwing. by doing that change you wont have to purchase a new mount or wiring.