1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ridiculous Insurance

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by beanz27, Mar 21, 2014.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Guys with Progressive, get a new qoute, from any other company.

Just switched my insurance today, got twice the coverage, added a car, and put commercial coverage on my truck for $10 less per month then progressive.

State farm is the new company. Progressive charged me $228 per month for full coverage on my 97 F350, and quoted me an additional $120 for state minimum personal on my 92 buick. Commercial quote was $487 down, then $235 every month.

And I had nothing but problems with them. Started out paying $128/month, next month they `dropped discounts` then $180/month, 3rd month dropped more discounts, was then $228.

Now State Farm adds my car, and commercial insurance, with a higher `package` and it`s $10 a month cheaper? Wtf?!?!

Anyways thought I`d let you guys know....rant over, thanks for reading.
  2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Stupid Flo :)
  3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Mine is all with State Farm. My prices are reasonable, I suppose... certain quirks annoy me. They also told me years ago that they were no longer accepting new commercial policies, that mine would be among the last. Maybe its different up here.

Also, recently got a letter from them telling me that they have been taken over by Desjardain (?sp?) insurance, don't know what the future holds there...
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

The hockey guy?

My GL insurance has been switched about 5 times since i had it. I have a broker and for what ever reason a new company has it ,always a good rate though.
  5. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I will ask my agent about that. It was only an extra $20 I think to get commercial, so I`ll have to double check.
  6. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I dropped progressive last spring. Comm auto on an 02 f250 was 1800 a year. Switched to a local company which I believe it is through United insurance. Dropped it to 750 a year with full coverage I couldn't believe it. I have a car insured through progressive that is very cheap, but for commercial auto they are way over priced
  7. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Can you get snow plowing insurance through State Farm?
  8. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I told him I plow snow, need commercial insurance.....so I assume so. I`ll ask on Monday.
  9. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Last time I was shopping around State Farm didn't do GL. But that could just be my region idk
  10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I've got American Family, haven't price shopped around for a while but I'm happy what I have. Having an insurance agent that knows you by name, knows you personally and you're not some name on a file in the computer helps a lot too. It's nice being able to call and ask about something or add a new item to the policy and have the agent know what you are talking about or start up a conversation about the stuff based off his own experience from growing up around agriculture.
  11. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

State Farm told me they don't do commercial.
    Maybe it was that agent or some thing.

Any way......... you had better hope you do not have a need for a claim with SF.
    It'll be nothing but a nightmare. My wife had a claim with SF, nothing but problems.
    She'd call the claims office for help with the medical bills, nobody would know any thing about
    any thing, and nobody knew who did know any thing about any thing. Massive circle jerk to
    get you off the phone as soon as possible. The agent was no better! no help in any way.
    They even cut off her medical payments based on what they thought she should be healed from
    whiplash. Not medical advice. What little they did pay they fought pretty much ever step of the way.
    Never asking how she was doing, just telling her that its been long enough now that she should be better.
    It'll be a cold day before they ever get any more of my money.
    We've since switched her SUV from SF to Farmers, twice as good of coverage for less money.

I've been with Farmers commercially since '10. I've had one claim in that time and while I did not get as much money for my pickup as I wanted, I have no other complaints. Their timeliness in working the claim and getting my check. And I know they were fair with the price they paid for my totaled out truck.
    My policy may not be the cheapest out there......... but I sleep good knowing I'll get taken good care of should some thing go wrong.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  12. snoworks1

snoworks1 Senior Member

This is correct, State Farm dropped commercial insurance years ago. They used to have great rates with good coverage. Then I went to American Family, then to Allstate.
  13. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I hear ya. Last summer I had a guy who was about 900 years old hit me. He shouldn't have been able to drive to begin with but state farm was his insurance company. What a nightmare. I had to track down their adjuster and hound him to come look at my vehicle. Then he says how about you meet me at the repair shop we use. I told him how about you do your $!#^&*! job and give me my estimate because it's not my job to come to you. Needless to say it took fforever to get a check and it wasn't even for the full amount. My body shop had to send then an invoice for the additional amount. After that I'll never do business with them. They have to be the absolute worst carrier out there
  14. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

After hitting a guy that failed to stop at a stop sign I soon learned to have my insurance company handle all of it.
    And let them hash it out with the other clown's insurance.
    Once they settle you'll get your deductible back too.

FAR LESS headaches and stress to do it that way. Your account explains why you want to go thru your company.
  15. Doin_It

Doin_It Senior Member
    from Mt.

I've been with State Farm for years, great prices. My plowing liability, 2 mill, is with them also. Never been an issue, can't see myself switching for any reasons at this point. All my personal vehicles, 5, work trucks, theft fire etc on the equip is with them as well, the house, and all my rental properties are with State.
  16. derekbroerse

My snowplowing GL is thru State Farm. Like I said above, they told me at the time I would be one of the last new GL policies they would take on, tho who knows if that is Canada only or what...
  17. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

You better hope to God you never have a claim.
    I'd been with them for over 10 years and 0 claims until my wife was rearended.
    They stalled and stalled and were just generally as unhelpful as they could be.
  18. derekbroerse

I suspect that is pretty much every claim with every company. The more value involved, the more stall tactics. My parents had to sue Belair Direct back in '86 over an accident where the guy who hit them had no insurance (in Ocala, FL). Not only did he virtually total a one year old Buick Park Avenue (by hitting it not once, but twice as he tried to get away in his '75 Pontiac Catalina), injured us (mom by far the worst), but the car had to be towed back to Ontario (rented a 26' Ryder van and car dolley, all that was available)... all for Belair Direct to throw their hands up and say "Sorry, he had no insurance, you get nothing.".... Pontiac Guy got a $35 fine for not having insurance and some other piddly fine for not yielding right of way.

So, dad lawyered up and sued Belair Direct... I wasn't involved in that part (I wasn't even 10 yet). Oddly enough, parents are still insured by them to this day... they have never been a problem again. lol
  19. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Not really.
    After a guy ran a stop sign and was at fault for the ticket I had my insurance company deal with it.
    Going that route got me a new truck far quicker than if I'd have waited on his company.

No complaints from Farmers, they were fair with their handling of the claim. And quick.
  20. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Jesus...It would be a cold day in hell before I paid 228 a month for full coverage on a 97 MY vehicle.

I have full coverage on my 04 Dodge, including the plow, and any trailer/contents and it's 998 per year. Through Nationwide.

And I don't believe the stall tactics posted above are true. At least they weren't for me. I was almost out of fuel, and had 5 gallons in a can at my house last spring, and dumped it in the truck. Ended up screwing up injectors, high pressure fuel pump, low pressure fuel pump, and when it took the injectors out, it washed the cylinders down and cracked the rings in all 6 cylinders. I told them when I filed the claim it was my fault. It was filed on a Saturday afternoon. Truck went to the performance shop I've always worked with for teardown and estimate on Monday, claim was paid and truck was done and back on Friday. Over 15K.

I'm a believer in Nationwide. And I haven't looked super hard but I never found anyone to beat their rates.