1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ride on snowblower?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnboy11, Mar 15, 2007.

1. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

Someone should make me a ride on snowblower that's 32" wide or so, zero turn, and compact. Then sell it to me cheap!. Anything like that exist- even not cheap? I'm lazy and want to do resi sidewalks and drives with something I can ride on and is fast. I can dream. Don't say use a plow, you can't plow walks. ATV no good either. Does such an animal exist?

2. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

Oooops, I just remembered walker makes a blower attatchment for their mowers, but that and the mower would be $12K easy and I'm not sure I would want to use a mower that expensive for snow (wear and tear). I'd rather have a dedicated snowblower around 5k. I also think the walker blower is 42" which is too wide for 3 foot wide walks.

3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Bobcat has a snowblower attachment for their mini loader.

4. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

You could put a sulky on a self propelled. Perhaps you might have to do some fabricating work to make one fit.

5. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

I actually posted about that idea in the fall (great minds think alike!), but I dream of a snowblower as fast and produvtive as a 34" z turn mower (like a phazer or something), that cleans down to the pavement like a single stage snowblower and I can sit on, maybe even in a cab! It has to be desgined for snow removal with hydro drive too. I know, keep dreaming!

6. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Been there, got that, Bobcat 463 with 4 foot wide SB150 snowblower, 2 stage, been doing this since '94. Oh, by the way expect to pay the price of a light pick-up and blade.

I know what your talking about but it won't hang in the fight at that size and price tag you are looking for.

7. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

Ah yes, I do 27 resis with snowblowers, shovels, and me. I want a machine to make life easy as pie!

8. heather lawn spray

seriously though are these projects close together ie reasonable walking distance from each other? The guys have been known to bungee a shovel to the roof and a snow thrower to the space in between the Bobcat's snowblower and the chassis and move short distances. A four place driveway (2 car wide by 2 car long) can be done in about 10 minutes. About a dollar fifty a minute including travel time from the last site, would cover your costs. How would that compare to your charge out for a four place driveway now? ie 5 minute driveway and 5 minute hop cost $15. 10 minute driveway &10 minute hop costs $30. fuel consumption 3/4 gallon per hour.fuel tank range 6 hours before refuelling. machine cost $7200/year

Bobcat cab is heated and enclosed

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  9. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

It's a great idea, but it's too wide (sidewalks are 36" here), plus I'd have to trailer it as you can't drive them on the street and even so it's too far, but only 3 miles end to end.

I'd rather have a super productive machine than an employee. I can pretty much do a 4 place drive and walks in 15 minutes with snowblower, easily, I'm looking for 5-7!!!! Dream.

10. heather lawn spray

I'm not done yet . . .

The 463 can be equipped with narrow tires to keep it to 36"
    The SB 150 is available in 36" width
    but it is seriously long 9 feet auger to back plate
    A good operator can hang 22.5 hours with diesel and caffeine (Feb13-14 2007). try doing that with a walk behind

So don't drive it on the street

A 'dirty ' calculation on your travel time at 3 mph gives you one hour travel time end to end with 27 customers averages 2+ minutes per hop. Its taken us longer to travel across some of our sites than 2+ minutes

this sucker will fit 36" sidewalks

Its a do-able

Can it be made to work on resi scale economically? 'blowing speed' 166 feet per minute. so in a straight line it could cover about 450 square feet in a minute

most of the rest of time is spent manouvering, travelling, set-up

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  11. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

Interesting, very interesting! I am considering a MT52 or dingo or maybe a 463 like you say for landscape work so that might be awesome. You are the best! Thanks for all your input.

12. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

I've done 24 hours during blizzards with walkbehinds and shovels :cry: . hence the desire to increase efficiency. :)

13. heather lawn spray

Now

imagine that in an enclosed heated cab

14. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :)