1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Riddle me this?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Stovezbt, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Stovezbt

Stovezbt Junior Member

I have a 8' western pro straight blade for my truck. It is a unimount. I really would like to get a v blade. Question-would a unimount v blade mate to the mount on my truck, what about the harness. I want to stick with western because there is a local that is part of a huge landscaping company that does installs on the side. He has a larger parts inventory than the dealer. So I would like to stick with western and had this glimer of hope that I might not have to change mounts. Thoughts??

2. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Everything should work except the plow side wiring. It could match up but it may not. Not a big deal though, my dealer changed my plow side wiring to match my truck for $60. Western uses 9 pin harnesses and 12 pin harnesses. Most new trucks and plows are setup with a 12 pin harness. If your truck side wiring is a 12 pin everything should match up with out a problem.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'm pretty sure fordman is correct.When we bought our last round of western straight blades the dealer said if we wanted to upgrade to a v-blade down the road,we could just swap plows,and controllers,and were good to go.

4. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

same mount , you will have to change the wiring harness.
    dan

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Same mount different harness and controller. Alot more functions with the V plow, and that means more wires. Plugs at the grill look the same, but the cab side has a 13 pin round connector to the controller vs the 9 pin retangular pin for the joystick or regular cab commander. However if you keep the straight plow for a back up, save the controllers. The v plow controller will not work with straight plow. There is an adapter that mates the 9 pin controller to the 13 pin harness.
    John DiMartino is about to make this swap very soon, he should be able to help us all out.
    In fact I am putting togther an 86 chevy and I will install the v plow harness, even tho I will be running a 9' pro plow on it. That way I can run one of my v plows if I want on it.
    Dino

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

John D and I made the swap this AM. In all about 2.5 hrs and we were done.
    Both connectors need to swapped out. On the 12V pos and neg harness, there is also a 12V ignition source that runs through this on the v plows. Dont know why, but it is there, so that side needs to be swapped as well.
    On the controller side, you either have to remove the pins from the controller connector, or drill a 1.75" hole in the firewall to route the harness through. We didnt have the pin remover, so we drilled. Also for some reason the straight plow harness had the small side of the fuse holder for the 12 v iginition souce on the harness side and the v plow harness had the long side. So when swapped we had to long sides of the fuse holder facing each other. So we had to run a new line to the fuse box.
    When done we had a great luch at ROMA'S in East Hartford CT. The eggplant rolatini was outstanding, along with the company. If anyone gets a chance to hang with John D you will have a good time. He is as good of a person as I have ever met. Thanks again for luch John.
    Dino