1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rhino linings, on truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Frostysnow, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Frostysnow

Frostysnow Senior Member
    from oh

Would it be possible to spray a rhino linings on the underside of a truck like on the frame. I understand that you wouldn't want to put it over any bolts or the such but i think might help with some rust issues. Am i just crazy, or might it work?

2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

had mine done. a lot depends on how old the truck is as far as how much scraping is required to remove debris and rust. it wasnt cheap either. seems to be working out so far....

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The secret is the prep. If the surfaces aren't properly preped the coating won't adhere. It would be expensive if done right.

4. NeoThoR

NeoThoR Junior Member
    from Indiana

I wouldn't use rhino liner...

I would go with Line X or another product that is harder than rhino liner.

I've heard good and bad things about doing this.. most bad comments were from people with rhino liner though. I had a guy who use to do installs tell me that if the liner cracks or chips.. then its 10x worse because it holds water/salt in the crack/chip.

5. bribrius

that makes little sense to me. i had a guy tell me before i did my undercarriage that if the rhino starts to lift up and the water and salt get under it it is trapped there and makes the truck rust faster. howver when i looked at old rhino jobs that begun lifting and cracking it isnt like they lifted up creating a pocket for anything to get trapped in. is does create a crevice of sorts from the crack in the liner or if it starts to lift it does it from the edge not from the middle. . considering when you look under your vehicle all the small cracks and crevices that can hold salt to start with if the rhino cracks or starts to lift i dont see that as a big problem. i will say though that rust often starts from the inside out and since rhino or linex isnt sprayed inside the body panels or frame rust can still begin in those places. for instance when i look at my frame the holes in the frame are still there. it isnt like they were covered with rhino. under the cab corner is a hole. still there for dirt and water to get into. they dont fill holes. they cover the outside metal. i had ziebart spray the rust proofing crap into the holes. with all this my truck will probably still rust from the inside out. it will hopefully take longer though and when it starts to happen the rhino will hold it together so i may get an extra seven years of inspection stickers. i try to be faithful in washing the truck also.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Speedliner allows the addition of Kevlar to resist tearing, but I wouldn't do the under carriage of my own vehicles.

I think regular spray downs with Fluid Film is more effective. you can spray it in all those little holes, it creeps into cracks, coats electrical wiring connections and plugs limiting corrosion, we do nothing before hand but pressure wash the underbody. Do the same thing to the play jeeps, and personal transportation vehicles as well.

7. bribrius

your probably right. im just too lazy to climb under it and clean and spray twice a year. i figure they pressured washed, scraped and sprayed down with the bonding agent the rhino goes over. so something should be in the cracks and crevices. except any new ones created if the rhino lifts up or cracks. who really knows. ill find out in ten more years i imagine. i can say the rhino on the sides of the truck have already started paying off. i scraped along a metal fence backing the boat in one night in the dark. not a mark. i imagine the same would go for kicking up rocks or debris into the under carriage. im really not to concerned about the truck. it will end up a second or yard truck because of mechanical issues long before it rusts to not being inspectable.. only reason i picked rhino was because when talking with the installer there they seemed to really care about the quality of the work and were willing to put in the time and energy. like someone else said. a lot of it has to do with the prep. lot to be said for the person doing the work for you.
    the other thing is i back this truck into the water on boat ramps. so i was fairly concerned since the last truck i had was so rusted after five years they couldnt give it a alignment everything was rusted solid.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Don't know if there's a right or wrong. I agree with you as to spray ons increasing longevity. But since I tend to roll vehicles every three or four years to keep a warranty, I worry about looks, function, and resale.

9. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

If its not preped right, its going to rust and/or fall off. The only thing I would pay to have "under coated" would be a brand new truck right off of the lot. No dirt, no rust and spray the rino or whatever kind on. I would have them do every thing.

I have sprayed it on some of my used trucks, but they have been junked prior to the stuff having any effect. It did look a lot better than it did before I sprayed it. I now use it, (in some application) instead of black paint. I'm not talking about rino liner. I use the spray on stuff from Auto Zone. Works okay over paint, but takes two coats.

10. bribrius

i would love to trade in my trucks every few years. but seems like when i do i lose so much money i might as well flush it down the toilet as give it away to the car dealer. my last truck i bought new. traded it after five years. and kicked myself in the ass for doing it. now im really into buying and paying cash. look at my posts on the extended warrantee i got with one vehicle. they sold it then wouldnt cover work because the snow plow voided it. i got the money back. never again. for now on i consider myself self insured. if i dont lose six k or more trading trucks every time i can afford what might go wrong :) not only that but im not paying thirty k or more for the truck to begin with and paying the five hundred registration costs. maine sucks on the cost of registering vehicles and sales tax. if i ever went through the huge expense of buying a new truck again there is no way in hell i would wreck it by putting a snow plow on it. and i would probably garage it in the winter and move to a cheaper state to save registration and sales tax.. i just have to get over the bored of the same car sydrome. i used to have three cars for variety but that got to be a headache so i traded more often. the boredom of the same vehicle is hard to get over. damn. now you have me thinking of buying a new truck already. damn . damn. damn. im going to have the wife take my keys away to keep me away from the dealership for a couple days.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Just went through that, was thinking about trading the liberty and the ram in on a quad ctd SB go to one vehicle (the toys don't count.) Just couldn't take the deprecation hit and give up the convenience of two vehicles.

12. NeoThoR

NeoThoR Junior Member
    from Indiana

If you really want this done.. I would go around and ask how they prep before the spray and if they actually recommend it.. You'll be surprised how honest most of them will be.

There are alot of truck forums out there.. I'm sure you can find a hand full of people who have done this and they can give you there 2 cents.

I do know my grandpa has this done to his truck. But he had it done by the same place who painted his truck. His truck was totally stripped of paint underneath and then coated.

I personally want my wheel wells done also..