1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rhino Lining on snowplow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tim975, Dec 29, 2002.

1. tim975

tim975 Senior Member

Hello everyone, I have an idea and I would like to know what you all think. I have a guy at work that sprays a Rhino Lining like coating on truck beds and so forth. We were discussing snow sticking to the plow when the snow gets wet and heavy. He said he sprayed his truck bed with this coating similar to the Rhino Lining, and has yet to get the snow to stick to it. He asked if I'd be interested in using my plow as a test, and offered to spray the front of my plow. He said he sprays this coating on at 385° F @ 3100 psi, and his coating weighs about 8-10 oz. per sq. ft., so I'm not really concerned about extra weight. What I am concerned about is, he doesn't recommend color matching because of UV fading, so I'd be running around at night with a black snowplow. He said he would usually charge $120 for that amount of surface area, but for me he'll do it for $75. Do you all think I should go for it? Has anyone else had this done? What are your opinons? Thanks and Happy New Year!

2. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

??? I would think that coating would negatively effect the snow rolling action of the plow.. Those coating s are lumpy to make them do what they do.. Protect the truck bed and such and are desgined to keep cargo from sliding around.. Snow may not stick to it but it wont roll off either... I think you should look at those poly moldboard covers they sell for like $50 bucks , that come in red and yellow.. That are designed for plows, so the snow wont stick and will roll off efficiently.. Just my 2cents... Black plow is a no no......... I would color match and deal with the fade if you decide to go that route....

3. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Spray On Linings

I have one customer that had his plow; dump box and spreader coated two years ago. The snow seems to come off fairly well, and the red color on the blade still looks good too. The main thing is to make sure your blade is super clean so the material will get a good bond. :rolleyes: John

4. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

I had my truck bed line-x'd and if Rhino works the same way, the first layer is smooth, then they put the texture layer on just for texture. I wouldn't want the bumpy layer on a plow, but the smooth just might work. Hell, I dunno...

5. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

We just buy a couple of quarts of Fisher Sno-Flo paint every couple of years. We apply it with a cheap sprayer, connected to shop air compressor. I don't know whats in their paint, but it really does work. A quart does about 2 plows, and takes only a few minutes.

6. Tim975,

Didn't you say "He asked if I'd be interested in using my plow as a test, and offered to spray the front of my plow." I'd tell him why not but I would try to get him to do it as a trial or test and if it works well enough then tell him you will tell others. If not then go with poly moldboard covers for $50.00.

What condition is your plow in? What manufacturer?

Bob V

7. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

He wants to use YOUR plow as a test and charge YOU $75.:rolleyes:

8. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Tales from the repair shop...........

Rhino and Line-X are great coatings untill you have blade damage, cracked welds etc and it has to be cut out or off to repair the blade. Makes one He.. of a stink when it burns and is very toxic. Then you have to get it patched back in.

IF you have it done keep this in mind. Also have it smooth coated not textured. They can do it by gun pressure and material flow. \

As stated above. I go with a 1/4 in pc of poly for the face of blades when guys want the smooth surface.

Jerre

9. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

tim,

There are different mixtures that can be sprayed. I worked for a little while for a full metal jacket sprayer and he has sprayed a local bridge with a form of it and it was a med light green kind of.

But as jerre said, its very hard to take back off, more like with an air needle gun as it adhere to the surface at about 3200 psi bond strength if I remember correctly. You could mask off just above the cutting edge maybe, so that that can be removed easy.

And I understand the sprayers pint about $75, to cover cost. but that is over his cost a bit. It sounds like he is also trying to get a little additional also (not much though) If he want to test it on your plow and your only taking about maybe $35-$45 worth of product maybe... I could be off, but I do remember that that is a biz with a lot of markup.

Black blade is a no no, but if you do it you could try the reflective tape on the front of the plow, but in my opinion it would look horrible.

I would stick with no coating, but as I sit and think for a bit... I would not completely rule it out.. just do more research on it first... it will save you days of removing it if it does not work.

Proof of what I am saying can be seen by attempting to cut a bed liner with a knife, see what happens see how easy it is to remove, just in case it does not work out... playing devils advocate.

Pete

10. tim975

tim975 Senior Member

sprayed plow

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I totally agree with you all as far as a black plow, I wouldn't go for it no matter what, and if I had it sprayed it would have to be color matched. The moldboard still has a good surface on it, no rust at all yet. Snow-mover, I thought the same thing, charging me for being a test. WTF? He said I could get it any texture I wanted, and you're right, it would have to be smooth. I was thinking more bad than good about doing this anyway, so I won't bother. Thanks again for the help!

11. jonmeyer

jonmeyer Junior Member

RHINO LININGS

HEY ALL. WE ALSO SPRAY RHINO LININGS. TELL THE GUY TO DO IT WITH-OUT THE U.V. TOP COAT. THIS WAY, IT WILL STILL BE RED, BUT IT WILL NOT FADE. SPRAY IT SMOOTH, THE SAME AS IN A SPREADER. TEXTURE IS FROM CHANGING THE AIR PRESSURE AND "RAINING" THE RHINO "TUFF STUFF" OVER THE BED OF A TRUCK. THIS WILL ACT NO DIFFERENT THAN A POLY PLOW. DO NOT USE LINE-X!!! IT WILL CAUSE STATIC, AND SNOW WILL STICK. THANKS, JON
    (SORRY FOR THE CAPS, MY KEY BOARD IS BROKE)