1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rhino line salt spreader frame

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by andrewlawnrangr, Dec 25, 2006.

1. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

i am goin to be gettin my snowex 575 frame rhino lined. has any one done this yeat?? any ideas. i am goin to be taking the thing all apart cleaing up the rusted spots and then priming it......
  2. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Rhino lining sucks!! Linex is by far superior. Get linex!
  3. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

isn't the rhino lining supposed to increase traction aand reduce slip?, might make the material stick or give it something to hang on?
  4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Dont use Rhino, use Linex, will stand up much better and doesnt get soft like Rhino.
  5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I believe he is talking about just the frame. Not the Poly materials box where the salt sits.

Neat idea but remember that stuff can get heavy, so for every pound you spray on, thats one less pound you can put in the hopper. That said, I can't imagin you losing more than 20 lbs, so what the hey, have at it.
  6. andrewlawnrangr

well i went to line x and i was quoted $200.00 for the frame of a snow ex 575. so i said f that. i also had my 100 gallon diesel transfer tank. quote for that ........................300.00-350.00

so i didnt get either done
    oh well
  7. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

It isn't cheap, but it is garunteed for life. Just to have a tailgate done is (if I remember correctly) $100 to have Line-x.
  8. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

ive rhino lined a few things with those do it yourself kits, it held up pretty good. i've also used por 15 which i think held up better but was somewhat expensive...
  9. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Paint ,Paint ,Paint just some good old paint will do the trick.Break it down in the off season and blast it with some sand and repaint it each season. Chemicals are going to rust some things just clean it after each use. Takes about 20 minutes to break down a 575 and a hour with a blaster to clean up the rust than paint it with some paint, reassemble it before the season and hit it with some clear coat cost under 50 bucks and looks new again my oldest salter is over twenty years old still working just as good as new just a little TLC......
  10. andrewlawnrangr

yeah thats all i did with the spreader sand and paint.. i made a new bottem cover for the motor and used silicone so no water or salt wonders to the motor. thanks all for the imput

have a great new years
  11. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I sand blasted my 575 frame, painted it with POR-15, then sprayed it with Duplicolor bed liner spray from Walmart. Then I coated it with Fluid film.....

I think I will be able to get 2 years without having to redo it....

12. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

Line X has a better finish cosmetically. BUT it's very slippery when wet. Especially when wearing rubber boots. Rhino stays a little softer/sticky and provides more traction. My preference is to Rhino as this is a work truck and the last thing i want is to fall during an event. :eek:
  13. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Por15 is nothing more than great concrete floor paint.It really is'nt meant at all for metal,no matter what the manufacturer claims.After wasting 2 days meticulously applying it on my 3 yd dump,at 6 months it was shredding off---did some research--found out what I just said here and the drippings from it are still on my friends concrete floor after 6 years now!!!
  14. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Go to the autoparts store or wal-mart etc and by it in the spray can. We do this with alot of stuff and it works real well. Make sure you sand down the smooth paint so it sticks better and remove any grease etc.
  15. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Out of interest, but how do these rhino and linex, hold up when they sit in the sun, get warm. If I throw some sholves, or such in the back, can it rip the lining, or mark it up, or dig into it.