1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rhino all way blade project

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Arly, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Arly

Arly Junior Member

Over the summer our club assembled the all-way blade pictured below. All-way means it's adjustable on all its axes. Its designed for and will be exclusively used on ski trails. This is my 1st post here so hopefully I won't screw it up! If anyone is interested in details of this unit, just ask. We also have a write up and more photos about this project on our web site. http://www.superiortandems.com/xc-ski-grooming-implements

Thanks.

Arlyn A

Rhino with cab, blade driveway (DL).jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  2. tcfirerescue13

tcfirerescue13 Junior Member

that looks amazing!

3. Arly

Arly Junior Member

more photos, now its back side.

Thanks. :blush2: I should have added a photo of its back side, so i will now.

UTV blade done full sweep (DL).jpg

4. tcfirerescue13

tcfirerescue13 Junior Member

it looks freaking awsome. i would love one for the snowmobile trails around my area. but a little out of my price range. hope it all works great for ya!

5. Arly

Arly Junior Member

more photos, details

I posted this here just to check and see if anyone was interested in this type of contraption. Maybe someone does! Below is a view of its entire control setup. It takes about 20 minutes to install or remove it from our Rhino. Plus a photo of it setup in the unit.

Rhino Blade power controls (web).jpg

Joystick box mounted I (WEB).jpg

6. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

that is quite impressive.

any chance you could share the information on where you got the linear actuators from?
    and also the relays's and all that great stuff?

thanks.

good luck with the XC sking this winter

have you gave any thought to the tracks on the rhino tearing up your preped ski surface or maybe pullin a light duty drag behind to fluff the track marks back out.

that way up front you due the heavy duty trail fixing and then pull up final dress finisher behind you.

just a thought.

sublime out

7. Arly

Arly Junior Member

parts is parts

You asked a bunch :dizzy:! The actuators are the same units sold on Ebay and just about everywhere else for around $225 to 250. I believe all the relays came from Mouser. (a huge electronics supply house) When we're done grooming our trails, 99% of the time they'll look like the photo posted below. No matter what we're using as a tractor that day.

Churning Rapids comb & tracks spring 09.(web).jpg

8. sublime68charge

reason why I am so interested in your project is that I run some Electric actuator's of my own and just wondering if there's a good place to get them from.
    for Down Pressure

[​IMG]

and Dual Power Angle set up

[​IMG]

I have some other projects in mind as well and am in the market for good durable acutator's

thanks

great write up on your site also.

sublime out.

9. Arly

Arly Junior Member

10. sublime68charge

thanks.

also my down force actuator is made by warner linear or something like that I have there home page bookmarked or the link is in one of the threads here on plowsite and If I get closer to working on that project I'd just go direct with them but since this thread show'd up and there's lots and lots of actuators in your setup I thought I ask all about them and learn.

thanks again and post back here with how well it works once you've put it through the pace's.

sublime out

11. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

That thing is awsome. I have never wanted a Rihno until I was yours.

12. Arly

Arly Junior Member

what we copied

Thanks, It has been quite a project which will be in the field for testing very soon. For anyone who hasn’t went to our web page, we just copied what a fellow in Wyoming did and added some features to it. Our web page has lots more info than what I can post here. The machine on Casper mountain in Wyoming is pictured below and it was after speaking with him and looking at his, that prompted us to try it.

http://www.superiortandems.com/xc-sk...ing-implements

Joes UTV on the trail (WEB).jpg

13. Arly

Arly Junior Member

rear view

Here is another photo and this one is of the back side. We're receiving snow now and we might get this beast out soon. This photo was taken a few weeks ago.

Rhino with cab, blade driveway rear (WEB).jpg

14. Arly

Arly Junior Member

todays photos from the trail

We got lake effect and wind here for the past 24 hours which prompted us to get the Rhino and blade out. We hadn't planned to take it out until more snow had fallen, but the wind and drifts changed those well laid plans.:nod: Oh and it worked quite well. We still need to do some modifications to it, but it did its job in style.

UTV pushing parking lot (WEB).jpg

UTV pushing S, St Uro.I (WEB).jpg

UTV pushing Portage (WEB).jpg

15. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member
    from NE PA

Nice pics, and very cool machines!

16. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

That last pic is awesome. :)

17. Arly

Arly Junior Member

trail pics

You guys are TOOOO kind. I just got back in from work and took a few more photos while out on the trails. Hope you like them. Silly plow is working quite well. :)

UTV pushing in CR (web).jpg

UTV pushing in CR I (WEB).jpg

18. irv

irv Senior Member

that is one snow movin machine.! awsome looking too--irv

19. Arly

Arly Junior Member

all-way blade test review

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments. Below is a review after getting it on the trails about 4 times.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Comments on the UTV and cab.

We can only run for about 5 hours on a full tank of fuel. This is waaaay too short a work day in our book, so we’ll need an extra fuel can along.

Its cab gets pretty warm, although we did figure out that Curtis cab had a system to hold the windshield cracked open. Da!! Once we figured that out, the overly warm cab temps was greatly improved. On a warm day like it was yesterday, I was tempted to just wear my undershirt! Despite being warm, my feet still got chilled, so warm boots remain mandatory (least for me).

Fogging of the interior glass is not a problem,,,, and sometimes it is. Seems to depend on the air temperature, humidly, snow depth, the speed your moving and the amount of work the engine is doing, etc, etc. So we’ve been carrying a chamois to wipe the glass and a fan is on order. With those two, it appears it wouldn’t be much of a problem.

Front visibility is quite good. The operator is pretty close to the blade, mush closer than you are in a PB100 which helps you to see its position against trail features. (Ak trees, rocks & hillsides) Visibility was also increased by the weight on the front that lowered it and raised the machines rear. Rear visibility has only been used for backing up so I won’t comment on that.

All-way blade

We hadn’t planned to take it out before a base was laid but the snow and WIND we received changed those smart plans. With our trails undulating up and down, which of course makes the blade rise and descend, made some locations impossible to blade at all. But when we got into unpacked trail sections, the Rhino seemed to float above the ground and not raise and sink as much as the ground did beneath it. While doing this I had the blade low enough to keep a nice load of snow in front, I just zoomed along doing maybe 8 or 10 mph. On many of our narrow, curvy trails, ground speed will be much lower. In the above photos, you can see the nice load of snow I’ll rolling in front of it.

I’ve been watching the volt meter and its usually in the 14’s so I’ll guess that the stator is going to keep up with the plow load. Many trail locations require a constant motion of 4 actuators (2 pairs really) and the charging systems voltage never fell into low numbers (least while I could see it).

The actuators are slow, so I need to start moving them BEFORE the terrain requires it.

Joystick control works well, but I wish its motion was a little stiffer.

Working in low snow I have caught many rocks and stumps and a couple of times they stopped me dead or skidded the whole machine sideways. But no damage was found other than tarnished pride. Again like Cowboy stated it doesn’t appear a floating blade would be of assistance but the UTV suspension does create float on its own.

While operating in low snow, the steering over the grounds undulations was hard on my pectorals (chest muscles). I imagine this will greatly improve as the base is built up and we’ve dragged them flat.

Speaking of low snow, we never meant to take it out in those conditions because of all obstacles our trails have for us to catch with the blade. While dragging the blade across some frozen earth, we caught something and broke the 2 sweeping actuators. We've since ordered a couple of Acme screw equipped ones from a company called Burr. They claimed these will be much more durable than the inexpensive ball screw type that we broke. Oh R&D is so much fun!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Thought someone might like to hear all this. :dizzy:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  20. Subseven

Subseven Member

I love it! Nice setup. We should do up the Can-Am Commander 1000.