1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rewire backward Boss joystick or wire in Western joystick

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by affekonig, Feb 20, 2009.

1. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

This is my first Boss and I bought a handheld controller for it and did't really like it. I've always had Westerns and I really like their joysticks, so I'm planning to wiring one to work with the Boss or rewiring the Boss joystick to reverse the up/down positions. I'm so used to pushing down to drop the plow and forward to raise it... Does anybody know if one of these options can be done easily? It's supposed to snow tonight and I'd love to have it ready.

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

with the correct disconnect tool you can swap the connector's i cant tell you the correct color but maybe b&b can chime in and save the day ! :salute:

3. Stalkker66

Stalkker66 Junior Member

i too did the same thing last season to my joystick. its a snap. once you know which two color groups control the 2 valve switches its only switching them. i believe it was the yellow group and the blue group but dont quote me on that. there will be 3 connectors on each side. just swap them and your good to go. be careful, it gets a little confusing tho. just write down which you disconnect so you can start from scratch again. good luck. and remember there is a switch for each valve for the piston. one to push fluid in and one to release the other side piston.

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Going to have do do more than just swap connectors since a western straight blade only has 6 wires and a boss straight has 9.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Western controller won't do it but a Boss joystick will...and is a piece of cake.

Just swap the paired blue & green and the red & black/red on the angle coils, flip the joystick 180 degree's in the truck and your done. Takes 5 minutes. You can also spin the handle on the joy controller 180 deg afterwords to put the raise switch on the side that you want it.

BUT, be sure to make a note of the fact that you swapped the coil wires...confusing as heck for someone diagnosing it at a later date if you forget.

6. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Switch em on the plow pump itself, eh? That makes sense...I'd really like that nice little Western controller in there, but this'll do. Thanks guys.

7. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

A five minute job that really was a five minute job, and that was on the snowy, windy driveway. Thanks again.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear. Now the functions are like they should have came from the factory. :waving:

9. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Amen. It was nice to have a joystick working the right way yesterday. I have another question though. The plow stopped working twice for no discernable reason. The solenoid would still click, but the plow wouldn't move. The first time it happened, I jiggled the controller for a bit hoping to get one more movement out of the solenoid to raise the plow and drive to the parts store. It worked and I drove to the Boss dealer and got a new solenoid (second one of the day, lost on on other truck too) and put it in in the parking lot. Everything worked fine...for a few hours. With about five minutes of plowing left in the day, the thing stopped moving again. Same deal - clicking but no movement. I decided to try unplugging everything and plugging it back in (on the plow), so I did and it started working again. That makes me think that there was just something in the connector, but it doesn't make sense. Anyway, let me know if you have ideas.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Loose or poor power cable connection somewhere between the battery terminals and the pump motor...but on a Boss it's usually the bumper connector itself. Clean it out and spread the male pins...or for a more prolonged approach replace it with Anderson connectors all together.