1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Revolutionary Cooling Idea!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PROPJCKEY, Dec 22, 2003.

1. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

Alright, check this out,
    While in my garage having a smoke and looking at my red money maker, I came across an idea. I too suffer from over-heating syndrome, so I have been pondering an idea too cure this problem.
    The top of my mouldboard is not that dis-similar to that of an airfoil (airplane wing). For those who don't know, airplanes stay in the air by the airflow OVER the wing and not under. this is refered to as Bernoulli's principle. Air flowing over the wing creates suction when the top surface is curved and longer than the bottom suface. As any Wright brother will tell you , getting the proper curve and aspect ratio is THE key to proper lift.
    I called a enginneer buddy of mine who has access to CAD and wind-tunneling software. We both therorize that if we can add a curving length of metal to the top of the mouldboard and can achieve the proper curve and length, it might be possible to INCREASE winspead into the radiator. In other words, if your going 40, it is possible to achieve windspeeds in the 50's similarly to the venturi in a carburator taking the same amount of air coming through the air cleaner and SQEEZING it though a smaller opening (like wind passing through two tall buildings)
    Stay tuned. I'll offer my product at half price to all my PLOWSITE.COM buds!payup

2. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

Interesting idea ya got there! Please keep us posted! :D

3. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

As I know it, its the high speed air under the wing, as apposed to the low speed air over the wing that creates the low pressure about the wing, and makes planes fly.

I think what your thinking of making is already being done. I know blizzard sells something that looks like it could make a venturi.

Best of luck, keep us posted!

4. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

Not to undermine your engineering but I saw a truck with an interesting solution to this problem. This guy had a fisher with a trap door cut right in the middle of the plow...about 12" high and the width of the two braces smack in the middle of the plow. It was hinged an had plates welded on the edges to make it bigger then the opening and quick pins held it shut. I had never seen anything like it...I'm not going to cut a hole in my plow tomorrow or anything but it was something interesting I thought I'd share with u guys.
    Casey

5. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

Aerodynamics 101

Actually Joe, it is the higher speed of the air over the wing. Look at a cross-section of a wing, the lower surface is pretty much flat/straight. Now look at the upper surface and notice the large bow. Now, as the airfoil is moved through the air, the molecules that go to the upper side of the airfoil must move faster to reach the back of it that the molecules that go to the lower portion. This difference in speed creates a low pressure area above the airfoil. Because there is lower pressure above the airfoil than below, the airfoil is actually "pushed" upwards.

Check this link out and download the NASA foilsim java program. You get to build your own airfoil and see the velocities, etc. Pretty decent airfoil simulator really.

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/FoilSim/index.html

Pretty good aerodynamics info in that site also. Poke around a little....

Enjoy!

Pete

6. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

well worded Pete. thanks. sometimes you don't say things for others to understand well enough so you tend to abbreviate. Funny how we are discussing aerodynamics in a snow plow forum!
    -Jeff-

7. PushIt

PushIt Junior Member

Tried something similar. Worked great for about 10 minutes till it got plugged with snow.

8. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

Consider this...
    I run a flexible deflector on my 8' Fisher. However, at highway speeds it flips up and is horizontal to the road. This probably keeps the air from shooting up over the plow causing turbulence and a low pressure zone behind the plow (in front of the grille). Instead , the turbulence above the plow is reduced and air just goes over the top and into the radiator.
    There was a thread that several said this worked for them. I have a 2500 GMC '03, that many are having overheating problems with (me too). Since I have put the deflector on, I don't overheat at 55-65 for about 5 miles (typically I don't drive furhter). I can't swear that that did it, but if I keep the plow low, I don't have a problem.
    I custom made the deflector but I am assuming other flexible deflectors act the same on the highway.
    Anyone else NOT have an overheating problem and running a deflector?

9. North Country

North Country Senior Member

PROPJCKEY Some thinking went into that solution! Two thumbs up! I hope it works for you. It's funny our Dodge trucks never overheat, I run at a steady 190° all the time.

I just noticed your signature - I like it!
    BTW I play too. - michael

10. sounds like a great idea, but wouldnt the snow caught in the airflow build up on the front of the truck? or possibly catch the airflow of the truck and draw more to the windshield?

11. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Rhino liner on a plow

I saw interesting plow today a guy had rhino liner sprayed on front and back of his new meyers.

12. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

woops wanted to start new thread sorry

13. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

sorry, been away from the comp. for a few days.........We do not intend to make an airfoil...this would be attached to the top of the moldboard directly, therefore, no clogging would happen
    -Jeff-

14. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

15. uptown

uptown Junior Member

blizzard snowplows already has this air dam on their website it bolts onto the top of the blade and directs air into the radiator. Maybe this piece could be bolted to your blade:)

16. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

Yeah, that's it, an air dam.

Race cars have one that runs out under the right side mirror to draw air into the cockpit to keep the driver cool.

It wouldn't have to be right on top of the plow, you could mount it on the front of the hood like you do a Bugflector, and route the air into radiator opening, which would lesson the possibility of it getting clogged by snow/ice.

You'd definately need a snow deflector on your blade.

Not that over heating is always a direct result of restricted airflow caused by the blade.

Stuck thermostats, slipping fan belts or faulty fan clutches are the biggest culprets. Keep all these in check and your overheating problems should be rare.