1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Review on full dual color axixtex torrent lightbar from responderPSE

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by JCark, Nov 14, 2011.

1. JCark

JCark Member

So 3 months ago me and my buddy each decided to order a 44" dual color axixtech torrent lightbar from responderPSE. I thought it would be a good idea to inform everyone on the experience of the purchase and give a small review on the product.

We orderd the lighbars by phone from responderpse.com and they promptly emailed us the quote and manual so we would know how they operated. In the manual that was sent to us it was explained that it has 3 modes.

Mode 1: You must select from premade flash patterns
    Mode 3: You can select from premade flash patterns or customize your own pattern with every pair of lightheads on the bar
    Mode 3: Pretty much the same as mode 2 but you can also have the takedowns and allys flash as well.

Now these bars are all blue because we are both volunteers at our local firedept. but with a flip of a switch the bar turns all amber for plowing season.

To us this sounded great so we went ahead and ordered them. We had to pay for them upfront and were told it would be a 4 to 6 weeks before we get them.

We finally got the shipment 2 months and 2 weeks later.... They were the wrong lightbars. They were 2 bars that were supposed to go to different customers so we rushed to bring them back to the ups store.

By Friday of the same week we finally received our lighbars and switchboxes. When we took everything out of the boxes the lighbars were the ones we wanted but one of the switchboxes was not wired properly. the first switchbox was alright but the second one had 18 guage wire on switches that were fused for 20 amps. Needless to say if you put 20 amps through an 18 guage aluminum wire you get problems. I called responder PSE like I had to so many times before and was told to wait for a call back from brooking industries.

While waiting for the call from Brooking, I noticed the lighbars programmed completely different than in the manual. In mode one you could only use the front or the back of the lighbar, in mode 2 you can only use premade flash patterns. Only mode 3 was custom programmable. I called responderpse again and was told that they had just realized axixtech changed the way the lightbars operate without notice, and that brooking industries (axixtech) would call me soon.

Finally a representitive from brooking called me and I explained the problems with the switchbox and the lightbar. He tried saying that I was incorrent and that the switchboxes were how they were supposed to be and I again explained the problem with the 18 guage aluminum wire fused at 20 amps, the other switchbox was 14 guage...? He did not want to hear it. At that point he cursed at me and told me to send the sh*t back and that he was not going to deal with my crap. I then said ok and hung up the phone. I was already angry and frustrated and didn't want to deal with a person like that. At that point I wish I never placed the order to begin with.

After that I called responderpse again to explain to them how I was treated by brooking and I was told Mike (the manager at responderpse) would call me back. He called and diffused the situation for now but nothing has been resolved as of yet.

Since then I noticed that the lighbars when in amber mode have some issues. it seems each module is a different shade of amber. some look yellow and some look orange, not a big deal but it drives me crazy that they are not all the same shade.

As for the lighbars themselves, they are quite nice but they lack alot of features I was origionally told they have. They are brght. thats for sure, but I will never buy another axixtech product again.

Monday I will call responderpse again, and then give brooking a call and try to speak with a manager to explain how I was treated after spending $2200 on their products that are ok at best. I just wanted to let you all know so you don't have to go through the same frustration. Stay away from responderPSE if you plan on buying an axixtech product, but more importantly stay away from axixtech altogether! Honestly the lightbars are ok but they are absolutely not worth the money or the frustration. Brooking Industries is a terrible company and after looking at other forums and online reviews of them I see that my experience remains consistent with many others experiences with them.

I will post some pics and a video once i get home from work.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

Sorry to hear about that, i bought an axixtech dash light this spring, came in 3 days and has worked great, bad luck i guess.
  3. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

ResponderPSE is not a bad company and I would not hesitate to do business with them. It's Axixtech that is the problem.

I used to be a dealer for Sound Off, Tomar, Axixtech, and Whelen. I had nothing but problems with Axixtech, some very similar to yours. I bought a custom made dual color bar like you. It was supposed to go from all blue to all amber. They said it would take 2-4 weeks, but because all dual color light bars are custom built in the factory, they always take 6-8 weeks. They sent me the wrong product as well. Their warranty process is down right stupid. All the other companies, you send something in with whats wrong and they send back the fixed or new light with no questions asked. Not Axixtech. After several messed up orders, I eventually just gave up and dropped Axixtech's product line.

Just for reference, Whelen now offers the Duo Responder LP. I would look into that for your dual color light bar needs.

4. Thor78

Thor78 Member

We just had SnM put a 49" single color amber torrent on our new truck. They said 6-8 weeks and that's how long it took to get it. I noticed the same thing with the programing, completely different than the online manuel. It worked out ok tho because we didn't need to waste a switch for "front cutoff". We just use modes 1 & 2 as we have no need for flashing takedowns or custom patterns. Haven't noticed a difference in color with the amber, but maybe because it isn't duel color. It does look more yellow than amber tho. My gripe with the bar is that it hasn't even been on for 2 months and we have some condensation on the inside of the lens already. I just noticed it the other day and was thinking of calling SnM to ask them about it. Everything else seems ok so far, but I guess we'll see. Good luck with yours.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  5. JCark

JCark Member

I talked to brooking today, they straightened everything out for me and resolved all my issues. The problem is that the lead time should always be 6 to 9 weeks for a custom dual color lightbar. Brooking said they make that very clear to their retailers but some of their retailers give a shorter lead time to try and appease their customers. It turns out you can custom program modes 1 and 2 but they need to be on flash pattern zero to do that. Now that everything is resolved I could not be happier with my purchase.
  6. JCark

JCark Member

ResponderPSE is a good company, there was just alot of confusion between all of us, the main issues were on axixtechs side.
  7. Thor78

Thor78 Member

Glad to hear everything worked out for you. They seemed like a decent company from what I've read on them and their products. As good as some of the big names, maybe not. For the price, I figured I'd give them a shot. We'll see if it pays off.