1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Review of my boss vbx after 1 season

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Daddyworbucks, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Daddyworbucks

Daddyworbucks Junior Member

We'll last October I put out 5.500.00 and invested in the 1st gen boss vbx 2 yard poly hopper salt spreader. Not long after I purchased the unit my supplier asked me to bring in the unit because boss recalled the oil that they were using because the weight was too heavy for the temperatures here in michigan so at no cost to me they handled that.the first significant storm was a 16 hour straight lingering storm. Plow ....... Salt...... repeat plow.....salt......repeat.... No issues....it felt good because you all know I was worried every time I hit the button because of the unknowns.Well I am so pleased to tell you all ,70 tons ran through it the first season without a single hiccup.Myself I like to spray bay it out fully and thoroughly whenever there's gonna be a couple of days of non use I know some say you shouldn't do that if it's too cold out well that's a gamble I'm willing to take I've sprayed it out when it was negative 20 out and ran it for the ride home and it's worked great as opposed to not maintaining it. Well guys I wanted to share with ya my review it is truly the most full featured reliable spreader I've ever owned I'm sorry for the advertisement but I give it a Thumbs Up

2. straightlinelan

straightlinelan Member

I got the new boss vbox last year as well. We really liked it. The material seems to flow a bit faster than our snowex vboxes but with user education, simple fix. I really liked how you can easily adjust the spread pattern. The only issue we had was our last load of salt, it constantly bridged up. we are thinking this is a salt issue, not a spreader issue. Our boss vbox is the auger electric version.

3. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

you ran it for the ride home ?

4. Icemelters

Icemelters Inactive

lbs per acre

Do you think the electric spreaders can be dialed in to spread about 350 lbs of rock salt per acre at 20-25 feet wide and driving no more than 15 mph?

5. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I'm sure it can, but 350 lbs for an acre sure sounds light to me.

6. Daddyworbucks

I have thrown salt 35 to 40 feet wide easily with this spreader speed is no problem it's a great reliable unit

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Yeah really, why even bother salting

8. spencers

spencers Member
    from Utah

straightlinelan,
    I just bought the VBX this year and haven't used it. It's the auger one. What is a normal flow setting I should try out first? I have the flaps by the spinner opened all the way. Is that the spread pattern?

9. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Thats pretty accurate huh? lol, That comes out to 33,000sq ft coverage per minute at 15mph, and if you had the chain drive wide open speed... you'd have to unload 350lbs in one minute then, i don't think its going to unload that fast.

I know the boss 2 yard vbx can unload faster than our 1.5, 2 and 4 yard salt dogg auger units, but they only unload at a rate of about 150lbs a minute or 200 maybe for the 4 yard unit if the salt is flowing well. The boss might do 300 i don't know, but thats a lot of salt in a short amount of time.

10. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

We added one this year as well, curious what settings others are using? We've been using 5 for spinner and auger.

11. spencers

spencers Member
    from Utah

I used it for the first time yesterday. We had a small storm so I only used it on one small property. It worked way better than my salt dogg hitch one. hahaha. I didn't realize the max is 10, 10. I will have to try 5, 5 and see how it is. I was salted on 5 for the auger and it was like 3 or so for the spinner.

12. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Own 2 of them... I really like them as well. Drag chains.. Worth the money

13. Daddyworbucks

My standard setting is 7 auger 10 spinner mind ya this is open parking lots maximum spread width if there are cars nearby drop the spinner speed.So easy a caveman can do itxysport

14. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

I running 5 auger 10 spinner works great

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Have you ever anti-iced before. We go in prestorm and put a few hundred lbs down on all of our 24hr contracts.

16. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

It makes a big difference! I remember the first couple times we presalted, got quite a few strange looks salting a totally dry lot.

Now we do it on every storm for always open sites. Gas stations, Wal Mart, another grocery store, hospital, etc.

We average about 300 lbs/acre on presalt and don't have to use much more than that after the storm is over. Plus daytime scrapes are much nicer, the presalt really helps break the bond to the pavement.

Dave what do you bid for? 750lbs/acre?

17. spencers

spencers Member
    from Utah

I love my boss vbx. been using auger 10 and spinner 10 but if it's bad I use the spinner at 5 that way it salts it heavy. Love this thing so much!!

18. TB Grass

TB Grass Junior Member
    from Ontario

auger or chain ? whats everyone using for the boss?

19. spencers

spencers Member
    from Utah

I'm using auger and bought the vbx for this year. Bought it early in September 2014

20. spencers

spencers Member
    from Utah

Now it just needs to snow again. This winter has sucked so bad so far.