1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Review of Curtis 550 Spreader wanted

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by BSDeality, Dec 2, 2008.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

I'm looking at purchasing a Curtis 550 spreader. This is the 1/3 Yd vbox with gas motor model. Not too much info around here on them. If you have one or used one, do you like it? things to watch for?

Lookin to put this on the back of a toyota P/U for residentials, hence the small size.
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

Great little spreaders. We have two of them. One is mounted in the back of our chevy colorado that we plow sidewalks with, and the second is mounted in our john deere gator. If you buy it, take the original 3.5 hp briggs motor off and junk it. Do yourself a favor and put a nice little honda on it. It will save a lot of headaches. From what im told curtis is switching to honda motors straight from the factory now.
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

I was thinking of converting it to electric actually if I had problems with it.
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

thats what i was told about the tecuhmsa engine on my my curtis ts -17 but it works flawlessly and i cant imagine the briggs not working well

IDK about the 550 but the larger spreaders have the honda as an option but in know way is worth the $600 upgrade

BTW i love my ts 17 the hydraulic drive is the cats a$$ IMO
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008