1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reverse trouble

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chesterlawn, Jan 21, 2011.

1. chesterlawn

chesterlawn Member

I have a 1999 chevy 1500 with a 4l60e transmission. The transmission has worked perfect until today. When plowing today about once an hour, when I put it in reverse it would act like it was in neutral. So I would put in neutral, then reverse again and it would be fine. The last time it did it, I left it in reverse and gave it a little gas, it slowly slipped into reverse. Last night we replaced all the brake lines, do you think we interfered with anything. I haven't had a problem with drive, only reverse.

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Sounds like your reverse band is shot. Make sure you are making complete stops before shifting. When I shift I let the truck sit for a second or 2 before. Just to make sure the truck has completely stopped moving. Just because the gauge says 0 doesn't mean anything. The break lines wouldn't have a thing to do with it. A friend of mine is having a issue right now with his. He has to hold the gas and its like it has to build up pressure before it will engage. I haven't personally seen him plow, but I can't stress enough complete stops. It saves trannys.

3. tac48

tac48 Member

4L60E trannys do not have a reverse band. They are known the reaction shell breaking which results in no reverse, but that would not be intermittent. What you are describing sounds like a shift cable concern. Sounds like it is only partially engaging reverse when it happens. When it happens try pushing up on the shift handle and see if that helps. The cable gets packed with snow/water and freeze up. Then they break or become misadjusted.

4. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Ditto. The 4L60e doesnt have the same reverse troubles as the 4L80e, different animal with different troubles lol, normally losing anything above 2nd gear. Check for slack in the shift cable and that the lever on the transmission is tight and not cracked or full of debris.

5. damian

damian Senior Member

scan ecm for codes,drop pan and check contamination,could have trans coming apart with pieces sticking the shift solenoid.

6. chesterlawn

chesterlawn Member

Thanks for your replys. Yesterday I took it to a transmission shop, not cottman, and they test drove it and found no problems. They found no code problems. They want to put on a neutral safty switch to see if that works, but when I take it in monday I will have them check the shift cable. They also want to drop the pan when I take it in, I'll let you know the outcome. Also the oil was full and looked and smelled good.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

I did not know the 4l60e didn't have a band. My bad.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They do, it's just not for reverse. It's for 2nd and 4th only. Problems with a 60E in a plow truck are usually the forward clutch piston, the reaction shell or it takes out the low/reverse clutches. Not too much you can do to prevent any of it other than the usual stopping fully before changing direction and keeping it cool just like any other trans.

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Good to know. Thanks.

10. chesterlawn

chesterlawn Member

Well I had a neutral switch put on, and the guy checked the shift cable and said it was fine. Not sure he checked it. I went out plowing and the original problem never happened again. But this time when I was plowing I was in reverse and I noticed my reverse lights weren't on, and I looked down and my shift indicator was in neutral. I moved it over to reverse and it stayed in reverse. This happened a few times, I would be in reverse but the indicator would be in neutral.It ran fine, but any ideas?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It needs the shift cable or the linkage on the column addressed as both wear out on plow equipped trucks due to the constant shifting. If you pull the lower trim panel down you can watch the shifter and it's related linkage for excessive wear. It will have a little, but too much causes this issue, as does a worn cable as I mentioned.