1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reverse sensors....

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Gix1k4, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

My truck is equipped with the reverse sensors. Does anyone know of a way to defeat/override them? They're driving me nuts when i'm out plowing.

The override switch on the dash only shuts them off for that one time, as soon as you go back to drive or park it re-activates them.....:gunsfiring:
  2. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

mine stays off till I shut the truck off. but there maybe a fuse just for that, if not you should be able to find the wire that goes to the switch and put a normal toggle switch in it to kill the power.
  3. Butcher

Butcher Junior Member
    from NE OHIO

mine also stays off till the truck is shut off. But like you say they are a pain in the butt and they even pick up my hitch with no trailer hooked up to it.
  4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

just out of curiosity, why would you want to turn them off? I have them on one of my GMC's and I love the gooter alarm.
  5. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

sometimes they get covered on snow and they never stop beeping.
  6. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

You talk about sensor on rear bumper? My friend just press that button near cig lighter. It never turn on after that. It 2001 F250
  7. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I've been busy cleaning up from the storm we got all day yesterday. I was talking to a friend of mine that is a Ford/Sterling truck tech, he said there must be something wrong with my sensor system, because as a few of you have said, they're supposed to remain off until the next key cycle. And he thinks that disabling the system is as easy as either unplugging the switch or one of the bumper sensors. I'm going to try unpluggin one of the sensors, then stick it in a bag filled with di-electric grease and tie it up out of the way.
  8. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

Mine button turns them off until the truck is turned off and on again too, '06 F350
  9. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I had the same issue with my 01' and I unplugged the main harness behing the bumper.
  10. Can-Boy

Can-Boy Member

Read your manual.There is a sequence of light switch operations to deactivate the seat belt warning chimes ,there must be one for your back up sensors.I'm only guessing none of my trucks are that fancy.
  11. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

Yeah, already went thru that, I turned off the auto-lock feature that way, but nothing about the sensors. Going to do the same as jkiser96...
  12. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

i have an 05 and mine stay off till i turn the key off my friend has an 04 and his does the same as yours since it was new what year is your if its an 04 then id guess its normal
  13. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

Yes, mine is an '04 too. Weird....
  14. F-350PSD

F-350PSD Junior Member

My buddies is an '04 too and his does the same thing. I was plowing with him yesterday for about an hour and it was so annoying unfortunatly for him he had to keep plowing for another couple after I left and had to deal with it for 8 hours the day before.
  15. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

I'd just pull the fuse, but these trucks sometimes have multiple items running off one fuse. I'm going to unplug it tomorrow.
  16. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Put a spreader on the back and you'll want it off !!! My 07 came with it if anyone wants it they can have it !!! Mine will say off untill I shut the truck off so it isn't too big of a deal. I would never order it on a truck. It will go off if there is a heavy dew in the morning, so snow and ice = anoying !!!

, shaun
  17. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

man, i though i was missing out on those.....good to knwo they suck...glad i didn't buy em
  18. Laner

Laner Member
    from IA

My 02 has them and everytime you shift to reverse the button to turn them off would need to be pressed to deactivate them.......I think the switch wore out. It shows they are Off all the time now.
  19. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

they're great untill they get snow/ice covered then put it in reverse and it flips out. i shut them off by pushing the button and they stay off untill i shut the truck off
    great in the summer for backing up and great if you want to get out everytime and clear them off.
    so they have theyre place just not for plowing
  20. Case580M

Case580M Senior Member

My 02 they come on each time I put it in reverse (if snow on bumper ). or if there is something behind me. Clean off the snow or dirt from the 4 sensors and you should be fine.