1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

reverse plowing.

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by chrisgerman1983, Nov 12, 2009.

1. chrisgerman1983

chrisgerman1983 Junior Member

I tried searching but couldnt find anyhting.... My question is, does anybody have a regular plow mounted on the rear. i am considering getting a plow and have been thinking about mounting it on the back and plowing in reverse. Dont really get a lot of snow where i live but when we do get snow there is a shortage of people with plows. The apartment i live in as well as my work have waited days to get plowed. Is putting a plow on the back a terrible idea? The manouverability would be great having the steering tires at the "back" It would be going on a Jeep cherokee and i would hate to bend my front unibody.... rear wouldnt be the end of the world :rolleyes:
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome to PS ,Redneck plower!

3. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I mounted mine under the vehicle, like a grader blade on a tractor
  4. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

5. chrisgerman1983

chrisgerman1983 Junior Member

:nod: yeah that what i was thinkin'.... good idea? bad idea? only problem i can think of is having a sore back from driving around in reverse :eek:
  6. Lil STX Ford

Lil STX Ford Senior Member

Less visibility, more accidental bangs on things, sore neck and hard to drink beer or coffee with head turned over.. also Lighting at night would be low, bigger blind spot...
  7. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

first off, if you're doing a manly job like snow plowing, you shouldn't be doing it with a girly truck. it'll just confuse the people watching you:D:D
  8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

the gears (Ring + Pinion) in the rear differential are not designed a load going backwards. I believe they are about %20 weaker in reverse. The jeep is not known for a strong dif to start with. That in mind be gentle and dont plow a parking lot. How about a pull plow?
  9. JoeCool

JoeCool Senior Member
    from Canada

I read the title and thought he meant to have one on either end and plow both directions. I was wrong, but has anyone tried that? Save backing all the way to the end for nothing and save time turning around.
  10. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

isnt this why they make pull plows.....why in the hell would you wanna go in reverse all day:dizzy:
  11. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I have thought about that before...then thought WHY TF am i plowing this place with a truck to begin with, and sent a machine in.
  12. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

lol Thats funny you say that. The one complex that we plow has extreemly long runs, i was joking with a friend last year that i need a blade on the back so i wouldn't be wasting time while backing up.
  13. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I went to the snowsports website. Thinking about buying one for my superduty. Only 1450 brand new. That means i can plow driveways for 4.50. LMAO
  14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think I'll put a vee on the front, wideout on the back, and straight blade in the middle. They I'll have all three.
  15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's been done....

7-18-09 001.jpg
  16. The guy I worked for a couple of years ago had a Arctic Plow Buddy pull plow with rear facing wings added. I guess you could say it was Bi :laughing:
    It also had a straight blade on the front.
    Worked well though
  17. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

hmm B&B why did u guys do that? so u could plow in forward then back up and keep plowing? seems like alot of stress on the reciever.
  18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

But it doubles the fuel mileage while plowing.
  19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Well with-in the limits of a class five receveir.:nod:
  20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So you're saying that's NOT a factory GM hitch?:realmad: