1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

reverse overide switch

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by mrplowatv, Dec 31, 2008.

1. mrplowatv

mrplowatv Junior Member

I have a 95 Polaris Xplorer 400 4x4, is there a way to bypass the reverse overide switch so that you don't have to push it every time you backup when your plowing? I also do not have 4x4 unless I push the overide. Is this the way it's suppose to be?

2. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

I bypaseed mine on the Rancher but it may be a different setup. mine was cable operated with button pushing a lockout cam.:D:D

3. mrplowatv

mrplowatv Junior Member

This one is electrical I just need to know which wire to work with!!

4. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I have an electric override switch on my arctic cat. I never tried to bypass it. I will look today at mine and check it out and let you know.

5. Tinstar

Tinstar Junior Member

Im not sure if its the same but on my 99 Scrambler 500 4x4, I put a "T"splice in a black w/white stripe wire and a violet colored wire out in front where all the wiring is and wired a toggle switch between them. I think you can get the wiring prints on the web or just stop by a dealer and they will show them to you. I guess my point is that it is possible once you find the correct wires......

6. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

what your talking about is the button to engadge reverse what he needs help with is the reverse override which lets you go full speed in reverse sucks for us honda guys were limited to 5mph

7. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

how did you go about this. i need to do that.

8. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

9. hondarecon4435

also you can activate the reverse lever and have someone hold it. then go under the atv to the little lever on the side of the engine and just zip tie it to the frame so it wont go back. lasted for two years on my recon before the zip tie finally broke and then it only took a couple minutes to fix

10. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

My problem is I have grandkids running this machine in the summer and also sometimes in winter and do not want them destroying my gearbox so this block Is easy for me to remove. 5 seconds max. then it is back to stock and they need tomstop and push the red button to reverse.:D:D

11. hondarecon4435

haha i see what you mean. i really wish our hondas had a reverse override the rev limiter kills me

12. Chiefmorton

Chiefmorton Member

I'm not sure how to bypass the switch but part of your question was about the 4x4 engaging in reverse only when the reverse button is depressed, that is correct it's supposed to that. All the sportsman's I've owned did the same thing, if you needed 4x4 in reverse then you had to hit the switch, not a big deal but I could see where it could be for plowing. Your left thumb on the winch switch and the right one on the throttle, not enough thumbs to hit the reverse button too, lol.

13. Pjslawncare1

Pjslawncare1 Member

I'm also on another forum and I had guys talk about this as well (Polaris). There is a mod you can purchase, I would try highlifter.com....if it's not there, look around E-bay. If you still can't find it. I heard of people just zip tieing the button down and then when you don't want it on, just slip the zip tie off the button. I have yet to experiment with this as I too have a sportsman 500, and I hate the fact that you have to push that stupid button in. Hope this helps!!

14. mudman

mudman Junior Member

I've got two Honda Foremans with electric shift and neither have any sort of rev limiter on them in reverse.

15. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

My 04 Rancher with electric shift also does not have a rev limiter.:D:D

16. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

Yes it is possible. Because of the age of your machine I am guessing that there is no digital spedometer display - check out this link: http://www.quadovator.com/1616799.html

I have used a few of the items listed on this site and they work awesome.

17. hondarecon4435

i didn't mean a rev limiter i mean they limit the spped to 5mph i think it is,it just sucks to have to go so slow in reverse

18. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

For a polaris email me at ejkipa@yahoo.com I have a link that gives the directions on how to do it and I will email it back to you

19. 92ramcharger

92ramcharger Junior Member

I bypassed mine by putting a wire tie (zip strip) through a half inch nut and then around the handlebar, tightened it with the nut pushing against the override button. And it is easy to take off for safety reasons if you have kids riding the machine.

20. mudman

mudman Junior Member

I figured I'd check it out while plowing this morning. 9 mph and it sounded like it was going to explode.