1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reverse Mounted Box Plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Petepal, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Petepal

Petepal Junior Member

Scenario: I plow a 30 acre gravel lot that is used for truck parking. There are currently 600+/- trucks parking here. We have barrier wall lining the back of the parking spots, and i have to pull all the snow from the parking spots to the aisles and then clear the aisles. I have been using a CAT 252B with a 10' box for the spots and a CAT 950F(quick coupler) with a 16' box to clear the aisles.

Question: I have been using the skid mounted normally. I am thinking of mounting the box plows reversed so i can pull in drop the blade and backup with plow pushing normally for both machines. I will likely end up getting a CAT 906 to take the place of the 252B this year. Has anyone done this? Any Concerns, Ideas, and/or Tips would be great!!

2. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Why not get a truck with a pull plow?

Also, I have seen a guy around here who mounts a piece of steel across the top (3-4" wide) at the front of the box plow so that he can angle it so the front is on the ground and the steel that would the on the top opening allows him to pull snow back, then he can re-adjust and push normally.

3. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

4. NickSnow&Mow

NickSnow&Mow Senior Member

Do it! works awesome. Before I did it everyone was like "you're crazy why would you do that just get a strait blade" they were totally wrong it worked great. With the maneuverability of a loader I think you'll love it. The only thing is you might want to look into an hla snowwing or metalpless if you're doing commercial, it'll be a lot more versatile than one of these. Heres a vid of me last year for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j7EFv74HDQ

5. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

6. NickSnow&Mow

Hla makes one also.

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Who's the old guy on the machine :)

8. NickSnow&Mow

Just an employee. He's probably the worst operator around but its hard to find good help these days. :salute:

9. kagenewengland

kagenewengland Senior Member

I have one called the back drag box. I purchased it from a company from St Louis who went out of business. It has a steel cutting edge and is 8.5' wide. It was great when I used to plow condos. I would sell as I dont have a need nor do I intend to plow condos in the near future.

10. Petepal

Petepal Junior Member

Yeah i've looked at those as well. One of the issues is that the truck parking lot is in the open and i typically get alot of drifted snow in the parking spots. when it snows 2" i can see 4"+ in the spots. I'm thinking the back drag bar would lead to two or three passes per spot to clear all the snow. If i reversed the plow i feel like i could keep the arms lower for better visibility and clear all snow in one pull. I havent used one so im only speculating. What are your thoughts?

11. Petepal

Petepal Junior Member

Thats funny, when i thought of doing things this way i started looking on youtube if anyone has done it. i actually have your video bookmarked. Very nice set up you have. I'm debating on how to setup the mounting plates. I see you have arms that come from the back of the plow. Is that where the mounting plates are attached to the plow or is it welded on in inside as well?

12. NickSnow&Mow

Thanks. How it's set up is we built a plate with the johndeere quick attach plates welded to it. The big plate you see is attached by u bolts to the "arms" you see on the puller. The loader is obviously just attached through the quick attach. It's too small for you but it's actually forsale. Worked great and I would use it again but I bought a tractor without a blower so I'm running an inverted blower.