1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reverse lights??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by padec21, Jan 6, 2009.

1. padec21

padec21 Member
    from ct

I want to add a set of aux. reverse lights. Does anyone know the part number or product for wiring these up. My current truck is a 2001 F250. I had a set on my F150 and for those I used a "Y" adapter to plug the lights into the factory wiring. I forgot where I bought the adapter or the part number. can anyone help. I want to add a set of cheap light I saw. They are rubber encased and round. Saw them at local Napa for about $6 each. No switch or wiring. Just lights.
    Please help.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  2. padec21

padec21 Member
    from ct

Does anyone know which wire I can tap into to hook up aux. reverse lights. I prefer not to pull all wiring out if someones knows what color to grab in the rear taillight. Truck is a 2001 F250.
    Thanks

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

i just did some with a relay and plugged then into the trailer plug

4. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

try tying into your trailer lights, there should be a wire that runs backup lights to a trailer. It may be labeled on the cover, or just turn your ignition to "on" and test the pins to see which one it is.... on my dodge I think its on the right upper side, but don't quote me on that.

5. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

check out www.etrailer.com I think that has a schematic on that site that could maybe help you.

6. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

IMO .... I would just plug into your wire harness too.... That would be the easiest way to go if the lights are not going to be permanent

7. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

That is how I run my pump on my L tank so I didn't have to hardwire anything

8. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

[​IMG]

Made a bracket that slips into the stake pocket wired it into the trailer plug. takes me 30 seconds to put them on before a storm.

9. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

Just buy or borrow a lighted wire probe. Put the truck in reverse, not running, and ground one end of the probe and then probe the wires until you find the one that lights up the probe. Splice in the wire and ground the other side, done.

10. padec21

padec21 Member
    from ct

Thanks for all the replies. I didnt even think about tapping into the trailer plug wires. The cover even told me which wire it was. Had them on in 10 minutes.

11. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

I know this is pretty old, but I've been thinking of doing the same thing. How exactly did you wire them into the trailer plug? Could you just use a trailer side 7 pin plug and wire the dedicated pin to the lights?

12. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

Yes, that's exactly how I did mine. It's the easiest way if you don't use your trailer plug to power anything else while plowing.

13. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

So it'd be the center pin right? how would you actually hook into the pin?

14. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

You wire the lights into a 7 pin connector (trailer side) to the pin that is for the reverse lights, (on my 06 F-250 it's the center pin) than you just plug it into the truck the same as you would your trailer plug. When you buy a plug, it will have a spot to connect the wires to each specific pin. It's very simple.

15. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

So my local trailer dealer should have this? And then I can just take the hitch out and put The lights where the hitch pin goes.

16. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

You can get it at any auto parts store, or trailer store. Here is a pic of what you need to purchase. You don't need to do anything with the hitch. Than when you wire it to the plug, you will use the center pin for backup lights and the bottom right pin (looking at it exactly like this picture) will be your ground, unless your lights are grounded to the truck separately, which they only should be if they are permanently mounted.

1281267874_4653f79183.jpg

1281267874_4653f79183.jpg

17. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

You really need to use a relay to power those reverse lights. See my signature on home made hitch light. There is a vid in that post that Dissocositve(sp) shows you how.