1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

reverse lights

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by earl964, Feb 29, 2008.

1. earl964

earl964 Member

I need to install some reverse lights on my back rack. Can some one tell me the best way to do this. I know how to mount them but I need to know how to wire them.

2. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

I am not an electric guru but I would run a hot to your battery and ground to chasis then run your wire kit to your reverse light in the tail lights. My guess. I have mine mounted allready but yet to wire them. If I can find the wire diagram I could fax it to you.

3. I will be the first to ask:
    do you want to manually control them (marginally legal)
    or have them come on with the reverse gear ??

second: how many watts are your lights -- that may require a relay to run them
    thru the backup lights

tc

4. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

I bought mine from J C Whittney it came with a wire harness, relay and fardware.

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Check out the chevy truck forum. There is a thread going there, w/pics too.

6. earl964

earl964 Member

I would like them to come on with the reverse gear but I would like to be able to manualy turn them off. I really just need them for backing up while plowing

7. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

So break the ground,

Run a live from the trailer wiring harness to the lights, GM it's a light green wire. also can tap the reverse lights on the truck,
    then just run a ground wire from the light to a switch. and a ground from switch to a good ground in the cab or back to the battery. and if you want a light switch just run a power from fusebox to the switch.

and use that as on off. Just have to watch that they lights don't get a ground just from the mounting. But thats just a matter of buying a light with a ground lead.
    They will always have power when in reverse, just not be grounded when you don't want them on.

This also saves you having to run a power from reverse to switch, then to back of truck, which is stupid when the power source is back there. Mind you I think you said backrack, same princple works, you can find the trailer wire harness (assuming you factory one) and tap it near the cab/box.

We do this for a backup alarm on the Salt trucks. Be able to control what time of day and place the alarm is active makes for happy neighbours.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  8. earl964

earl964 Member

Tthank you. That is exactly how I want to do it. I just want to be able to use them for plowing
    Thank you