1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reverse Lights

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CAT420, Feb 26, 2008.

1. CAT420

CAT420 Senior Member

What is the best or the most commonly used extra pair of rev. lights mounted under neath the bumper? I have an 03 gmc 2500hd and the stock rev. lights suck, they are not bright at all. I see they sell kits that go into your trailer reciever but its way out of what i want to pay. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. Puller504

Puller504 Junior Member

I installed 55w trapezoid 12v tractor lights on my 1998 K3500 4x4 this summer. Bought them at the local TSC store for about $10 each. Mounted them on the outside ends of my Reese receiver frame and used the light green wire from the blunt cut 6 wire harness that's supposed to wire trailer lights. The light green wire is for trailer backup lights and is fused (10 amp). I figured the truck doesn't care if the lights are mounted on the rear of the truck or on the rear of the trailer! So far I'm right as it works off the transmission shift lever and I've had no issues with this setup so far. The tractor lights are really bright and protected some as they are behind the stock step bumper. The trapezoid beam is wider and better than the floods or spots. Hope this helps, Don

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Don't mount them under the bumper. If you back into a snow bank, then they'll break. I mounted mine where the tailgate latches. I removed the tailgate bolts and put some in for the lights. (not where the tailgate hinges) This way there up out of the way and they wont get wrecked. Now if you still need the tailgate on mount them in the stake holes, and the end of the bed, then tie them into the wiring on the truck so they come on when the truck goes into reverese. If you need pics I can get them for ya.

4. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Use the Caterpillar lights from the Skid Steers. Part # 142-8637

5. lehmand1

lehmand1 Member

I agree, don't mount them under the bumper. If you tow a trailer, and have to turn real short backing up, it will wipe them out too. I bought a $30 fog light kit and a $10 7-way plug from NAPA and mounted the fog lights on a 6" block of wood that sits snuggly into the rear steak pockets. I wired them to the b/u light output on the 7-way connector. This way I can remove the lights when not plowing and it only takes a second to put them on.

6. CAT420

CAT420 Senior Member

alright, do you think you could put some pics up?

7. z71plowguy

z71plowguy Senior Member

and blueline could you tyell me what color the wire is that i have to tap into to get the light the go in with the reverse lights thanks

8. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

I agree with blue line. I have mounted a few on the vertical sides of the trailer hitch. Mounted shining out, down and back at an angle. They light up the ground behind the rear wheels where your mirror is looking, and they are high enough almost above the bottom of the bumper so that they are no damaged by backing up.

9. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Well that depends on what kind of vehicle, where you want to tap in etc. You're best bet is doing a google search for a schematic for your specific vehicle. I find out by testing the wires, seeing as just about every vehicle is different.

10. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Here is a pic of where I mounted mine. I just removed the bolt the tailgate strap goes to. (they'll go back on when the tailgate does, I just keep them hooked up to the straps themself.) I believe the wire I taped into was green. I taped into it right by the light socket. Just get a test light, turn the trucks key on, apply the e break (for safty, even tho the truck isn't running,) Then with the light removed, and the reverse light removed test which wire is hot, and which one isn't on the reverse buld socket. Then you'll know which one it is, it'll be the same on the other side too, (I have 2 reverse lights on mine) if you use 2 extra lights. Anyway, hope that helps, and here are the pics

rlight1.jpg

rlight2.jpg

rlight3.jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  11. CAT420

CAT420 Senior Member

Thanks for all the help, i got a feww options to choose from..

1999 Ford Ranger Sport FOR SALE- $5800 70,000miles

12. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

Here are the pics of my lights, covered in salt and sand. I have more pics on the strobe light stolen thread.

DSCN1725.jpg

13. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Mine are mounted to the hitch.

Phil's Photos 186.JPG

14. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I think if you back up a trailer and turn far enough to wipe out lights under the bumper, you went too far.

Mine hang down under my bumper in front of the hitch, I've pounded them into many a snowbank and haven't broken one yet. I even popped both bulbs out of the housings last week, just got out and popped them back in. Those soft rubber mounted trapezoidal tractor lights are the absolute best. Almost like having headlights back there, but they are nearly indestructible.

15. Detroitdan

trying to post a pic of my lightshttp://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=48719
    cant post it because I already did once. thats stupid

16. Detroitdan

[​IMG]how about this?

17. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

nope, can't see it dan

Let me give it a whirl:

Is this the picture you were trying to post?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  18. Detroitdan

Yeah, thanks Phil, dont understand why I couldnt post the pic or even the link. I know for some ******** reason if I have already posted a pic on the site, it wont let me do it again in another thread.

Anyway, them's ma lahts. I think they're called a 505, or maybe 501? As you can see a lot of things would have to go wrong before my trailer could hit one of them. I've tried a lot of different auxiliary reverse lights over the years, but these are by far my favorites. Had them on two plow trucks now, and just can't seem to break them. I used to use the round rubber mounted ones, but the cheap wal-mart Blazer ones dont throw any light at all, and they are more plastic so they don't flex. And the better quality ones don't light up as wide an area. These ones are wicked soft rubber, you can twist them all over the place, which is why they don't break. I used to use them for work lights for hooking up trailers at night (truck off, key on in reverse with parking brake on) but thats a little sketchy. I now have 4 takedowns on my lightbar facing to the rear, I use those for backing up longer distances at higher speeds.

19. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

20. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

If you connect additional lights to the stock backup wiring.. be sure to calculate the total load in amps (amps is watts divided by voltage) of the lights. Also, I've always connected a seperate switch (hot with ign.) inline with the backup lights. This way I can turn them on without having to be in reverse. When the switch is off, the backup lights work normally. This will allow you to use your lights for sanding / salting, connecting a trailer or just utility lighting.:salute: