1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reverse lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tim1075, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

What would you guys suggest for aux. reverse lights on a mason dump, and would you put them on a toggle switch? Where would you mount them?

2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Honestly, those round "Tractor lights" connected to a toggle switch. Put 'em up on the top sides of the dump... that way you get a good view of what behind you. If they're down too low (like mine are) you're going to get more interference.

-Tim

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I wouldn't put your back up lights on a switch. All of my trucks are wired so when the truck goes into reverse the lights go on.

Why?

Because after several hours of plowing, lights go on, and don't always go off. If you pull out in fron of someone with reverse lights on they will hate you. Not good for biz or safety.

I am using halegon reverse lights, brighter and they provide more light. My trucks with spreaders have a tractor utility light(s) aimed at the ground, that must be turned on with a switch.

Geoff

4. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Ditto exactly what Geoff said. Only difference is (much thanks to Alan from here) I have the utility lights set up on a 3 way toggle where I can turn them on, off, or set so that they turn on & off automatically when the spreader turns on & off. Halogen reverse lights make an incredible difference (much thanks to Chuck Smith).

5. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

In an effort to keep electrical loads down as much as possible, I want the extra rear lights on only when in reverse. I ran them through a relay to keep the extra current load off the contacts in the stock backup light switch as well. You trigger the relay off the stock backup lights, which draws almsot no extra load through the stock switch. I also got a bit creative and wired in a double throw switch so I have the option of turning the extra lights on seperately if I want work light behind the truck. And the extra lights run off their own fuse, so a problem there does not take out your stock backup lights and whatever else is on that line.

6. boba

boba Senior Member

Alan, GeoffD or anyone,

I need help with the wiring. My present aux backup lights were installed by the dealer. Now blows fuse. My mechanic is after a woring daigram to do what you are doing.

I especially like the setup when the sander goes on the lights go on.

truck 1999 F350 psd dump.

Thanks for any help.

7. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Your truck more then likely has the 7-wire trailer harness someplace on the frame. Find the 7 wire trailer harness, and the wire that activates back up lights. From there use that wire to power your back up lights, and you won't have any problems.

Geoff

8. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Good idea with using a relay and having the option of "auto" or "manual" lights.

I did something a little different again on my truck: since I built my own deck for it, I used the 4" round rubber-mounted "Truk-Lite" style lights and have 2 white ones on the back which work off the transmission switch. These throw a fair amount of light, if I need more I have 2 tractor-style backup lights up on the "headache rack" on a manual switch.

I also have 1 tractor-style light facing sideways on each side, below the deck. Again, they are on a manual switch for "as needed" use.

To help guard against leaving them on when they shouldn't be, the "manual" lights have an idiot light wired into the circuit so I have a reminder in the cab that they're on.

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I wire all my auxillary lights through cab switches. However all my lights come off a fused relay from the battery. The relay is switched by a lead from the key. This way when the key is turned off the lights all go off. There is no way that they can be left on by accident and drain the battery.

10. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I have two 4" tractor lights on the light bar, and 2 halogen FOG lights mounted below the rear bumper. These are wired through a relay to the reversing switch. Plowing you need as much light to the rear as the front ( maybe more) THey are also a safety item as they do light up the back when you switch to reverse, and do catch other drivers attention. the back up alarm is on the same circuit. A 3 way switch is a neat idea, but I think I'll use it to make the back up alarm optional, as it's not needed as much for residentials ( and I have gotten a few complaints) but our safety policy is that it is operational for public areas.

Bill

11. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

I decided to go with the halogen tractor lights on a 3-way switch. Thanks for your help guys