1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

reverse lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by thannigan, Dec 4, 2003.

1. thannigan

thannigan Member

Everyone-
    After looking at many pictures online, and noticing trucks around my town I noticed the different types of reverse lights. The first question that i had about this was, wheres the best mounting spot? Also is is better to get halegon lights on the back, or a big utility light? TIM

2. slowpoke

slowpoke Member

NAPA and Auto Zone sell a neat rubber bodied Tractor light for a reasonable cost. They take a beating and keep on tickin' just like a timex. Mount one wherever you can. Make sure you get a "flood" bulb. the box is usually marked. They are only 35 watts so it won't put a big drain on your electrics. The light is very effective.

If you don't have a real good mounting spot and your backup lens is good get some high intensity replacement bulbs -50 watts (about $2 apeice at autozone) They work pretty good and there is no mods required to your vehicle.

3. thannigan

thannigan Member

slowpoke-
    Thanks, right now i'm looking into getting a type of reverse lights so that i can mount them on my tractor, as headlights/ extra lights. Maybe i will mount some other type of marker light on the back so that I can be seen when plowing the sidewalks and around the street at night
    TIM

4. slowpoke

slowpoke Member

A pair of those lights will work fine on most tractors. They light up a tremendous amount of space. If you're using them on the front get the Trapazoid patern and most of the light beam will stay in a quadrant in your drive path. The floods will go way out to the side wasting light

5. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I have one light connected to my reverse switch that is located on the back bumper, and another light on a switch located on the top of my headache rack. Both are just utility lights.

6. slowpoke

slowpoke Member

That setup should work okay. There is not much current draw from the utility lights and for the work and speed you travel they will do the job.

7. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Heres my lights and they are bright

dscf0001 (resized).jpg

8. thannigan

thannigan Member

big dog-
    A friend of mine has a pair of lights like that mounted in the same spot on his chevy and they are bright:D

9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I have two rubber utility lights mounted on TOP of my rear bumper. Right under the tail lights. They're on a seperate lighted switch on the dash.

On the Drivers side one, I point it DOWN to shine on the ground. Lets me see my salt spreader pattern/flow.

1990truck.jpg

10. slowpoke

slowpoke Member

TLS

That's a good setup. I'm getting a daniels pull plow next week so I"m mounting mine on the inside of the bed just behind the tailgate on a removable bracket. High enough to shine over the pull plow. The gate will be off for use with the pull plow so it should work ok. I'm using the reverse circuit of the trailer lights for now.