1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reverse lights from trailer plug

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Brian Young, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I always ran back up lights on a toggle switch but I dont know if I saw this in here or not and I've looked. But I thought someone just ran back up lights to their 7 prong plug on the truck. This would be a lot easier than running several, several feet of wire then mounting yet another toggle switch. Has anyone done or seen this done before.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Not a issue at all. That's what I always tag for my AUX rear lighting. I use a diode so I can run a 20 gage wire forward to the switch to trip a relay to power the light for spreader work. I power the relay from the trailer 12 volt feed.

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

light plug

been running them to my plug for the last 2 years and no problem just fulled the plug with fluid film and not an issue .

img 0002 small .jpg

4. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass Member
    from CT

5. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Yes. Take my hitch light build in my signature.
    T.J.

6. Brian Young

Ahhhh, I remember that post,lol. I can't and don't need a hitch mount, I'm just going to drill a hole in a bracket I have on the underneath of my flatbed. Plus I have a rear bracket that goes into my hitch now to protect my spinner and shoot for the v box. I also saw Dissociative's post on how he used a rely but it's gone. I was thinking of just getting an unwired plug and just wiring in those lights to the right prong and plugging it in....any thoughts

7. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

The only problem I can see is if you are going to run a lot of lights off of it. It you are you may blow your reverse light fuse. But it would probably take a lot of lights for that to happen.

8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Not true. The reverse light circut will not take the load. The reverse light circut would only be a trigger wire to excite the relay. The relay in turn will connect from the charging wire in your 7 pin trailer harness to the lights. So the only circut taking the load of the lights is the charging wire in the trailer harness. Google up a hoppy wire diagram for a 7 pin trailer wiring and you will find the charging circut pin as well at the reverse light pin. The reverse light trigger wire from the 7 pin connector goes to "85" side of the relay. The "86" side of the relay is ground. The charging wire from the 7 pin trailer connector goes to "30" side of the relay. Then "87" or "87a" (depending on the relay if NC or NO) goes to the lights.
    Hope this helps. I do not have the colors off the top of my head.
    T.J.

9. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I tapped mine into the wire going to the plug. No running 20 feet of wire, no buying a plug and having it always sticking out the back of the truck...

10. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Tjs That makes sense about the relay I made a light bar and used a solenoid for all the reverse lights. I have two hard wired into the trucks reverse lights, it didn't make sense in my head that the trailer plug wasn't wired directly into the reverse ligths. Thanks for plumbing me up!

11. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Brian,
    I am going to answer your PM here so others can see my fancy drawing.

Here is the hoppy diagram.
    [​IMG]

Here is how you trigger the relay and use the AUX power wire (which can carry more load than the factory reverse lights) to actually power your extra reverse lights.
    [​IMG]

In your PM you asked how to trigger the V-box spreader light via the park light circut. You should use another relay. Here is how it is done.
    [​IMG]

12. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

You also asked where to put the relay. I used a project box I had laying around. Sealed it up good too. Remember my set up is temporary that goes to the hitch. So my project box is attached to the back of my hitch light set up. The white wire you see is for the third brake light trigger. This wire was in the Ford harness for campers and caps.
    Hope this helps.
    T.J.

[​IMG]

13. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

You can see the GM third brake light I used here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Heres what I did for cheap.
    I aint called a cheap old B*****d for nothing. :laughing:

Carved down a 2x4 to fit the stake pocket. Bolted a farm implement light to the 2x4.
    Used some wire laying around to wire a ground and center back up prong.

It works too. For a lot less than that back up buddy.

image 005.jpg

image 004.jpg

image 003.jpg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  15. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Jeff Dunham has Jose Jalapeno on a stick.

I have a "reverse light on a stick" :laughing::laughing::laughing:

16. Brian Young

Thats all I was going to do but then I read some of these posts and they were all saying relay's etc. I wanted to run 2 lights and I don't know if thats too much for the circuit to handle and run the risk of blowing up the light, melting the wire or keep blowing fuses.

17. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

I doubt the lights will blow.

I'd imagine the fuse is a 20 amp same as all the others on the truck.

Do some lookin into the draw of your lights and the wire and fuse size.

18. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

You shouldn't overload anything if you run LED flood lights, like the DDM Tuning ones talked about on here. The LED's draw very little juice.

kevlars

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you are planning on permanently mounting the lights use one of these adapters. They plug and play and give you the wires Reverse and a 12 volt power supply to install a light with front controlled relay use a diode and you will have a work light and a back up light and leaves the plug available for trailer use.

5 th plug.gif

20. frdtrckmnrich

frdtrckmnrich Junior Member

Where would i find one of these?