1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reverse Lights - 87 K10

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JPLTrucking, Sep 7, 2005.

1. JPLTrucking

JPLTrucking Member

How do I adjust the switch that activates the reverse lights? If I shift into reverse the lights won't come on unless I wiggle the column shifter and find the right spot. Any help is appreciated as I want to add some backup spots for plowing.
  2. Swampdonkey

Swampdonkey Member

You might need to replace the shift linkage between the frame and tranny. Shifting from drive to rev. when plowing wears it out. I replaced mine this summer ( I was having trouble getting the rev. lights to come on) what a difference.
  3. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

I don't thonk you can adjust the switch. You need to adjust the linkage. (Replacing some of the parts might work best, as stated above.) If you climb beneath the truck you should see a bar going right to left with a linkage from the steering column and one from the transmission. There is a bolt that clamps the column linkage. You have to loosen that bolt and move the linkage. Some trial and error and you should get it. Then make sure you can shift into Park and Low.
    Of course if you are thinking about adding backup lights for plowing I recommend putting them on a separate switch. This way you can turn them on when you need them, not just when you are in reverse. (It happens)
  4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

or, bypass the switch with a small toggle switch- did that on our K5. Just remember to turn the lights off.
  5. fast68

fast68 Junior Member

its a little bit adjuwstable, lower the column a little and figure out of it needs to slide up or down and loosen the mouting screws and reposition it, but the switch may just be broken or worn out

on the llinkage theres really nothing to wear out, cept possibly end of rod, but its rare

if you are talking about auto trans anyways

three on the tree use rods too though
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2005