1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reverse Light Wiring

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by ballandchain91, Oct 2, 2014.

1. ballandchain91

ballandchain91 Member

This might be in the wrong section but i couldn't find anything about my issue.

I am wiring two of my reverse lights to come on when i put it in reverse. Usually i tap into the light and done, but this time I'm going to be using the factory F350 fog lights to increase my vision with a sander on the truck. They are laying around and available. I believe they are 40watt...

Anyways can someone help me with the wiring of a relay for just this procedure? I don't want it to draw more than it should.

Would a On Off On switch setup be safer/easier?

Thanks -mark

2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

[​IMG]

You do not need to use the headlight power, it can be from any source. Use the switch or use the backup light power to trigger the relay. I just put them on a switch and leave them on when I am plowing, no need for them to go on and off.

3. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

4. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

Be careful and check your laws. In NC, it is illegal to have back up lights activated by a switch that would allow them to be turned on when not in reverse.

5. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

thats hard to believe you cant have aux backup lights

6. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I show how to do it in this post, see link. It uses the factory trailer hitch plug wiring and a relay. You can also interrup the ground with a switch if you want them to be off when you wish. I do this(interrup the ground) with my backup beeper that is also tied into this set up. this allows me to turn it off when I do not want it on when I put it in reverse.
    go here: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=90123&highlight=hitch+light
    and here: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=149517&highlight=beeper

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  7. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

That to bad! The cops here leave us alone when it is snowing. My backup lights are brighter than my head lights. Love them and would not want to plow with out them. Also it is works well to warn other that something is moving around. I shut them off when driving but other than that they are on if it is dark. Thumbs Up

8. ballandchain91

ballandchain91 Member

Thanks for the info, my understanding here in RI is aux lights are allowed for snowplow equipment. Other words you can't drive around with them on to blind the guy behind you but in snow storm conditions I'm pretty sure your okay. Law says no more than two backup lamp but snow equipment is under a different law. Don't know exactly but this state is so screwed up to begin with!

Any ways thanks for the diagram maxwell....I ended up using a relay for when the key is on the lights have an on off switch. Simple and can be left on if I chose.

9. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

You can have aux lights but they can only be activated when youput the vehicle in reverse. They have this so you can't turn them on and blind the person behind you...could cause an accident.

10. Marshalljt

Marshalljt Junior Member

What type of lights do you guys suggest I am looking at putting some on one of my trucks.