1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reverse light wire

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by djd427, Nov 16, 2005.

1. djd427

djd427 Member
    from NEPA

I need a little help from someone;
    I am running 2 extra lights for reverse. I am putting them on a 3 way toggle with a relay.
    top -constant on
    middle- off
    bottom- only on with the reverse

Where is the best place to pick up the reverse light wire???
    It is a 04 3500 silverado
    05 2500hd silverado
    Thanks for your help

2. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

rev light

on my 05 2500hd there is a rev wire going into trailor plug i taped into that

3. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

It is the light green wire. It will be going into the 7 pin trailer plug if you have the factory tow package or it will be in the bundle tucked behind the center of the rear bumper if you don't have the tow package.

4. djd427

djd427 Member
    from NEPA

I was trying to trace the wire from the back to somewhere near the cab and can't find it. I even tested the harness for the brake controller. No reverse in that harness. I want to keep everything inside incase there is a problem. I really don't want to run it from the back, but I might have too.

Thanks for your help

5. djd427

djd427 Member
    from NEPA

Calhoun,
    Do you know where that wire is in the cab by chance?

6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Most trucks (don't know about yours) have a switch on the base of the steering column somewhere (automatic) or right off the side of the tranny (manual) that controls the reverse lights. Shouldn't be too hard to find. GM always used the light green wire in the past.

7. djd427

djd427 Member
    from NEPA

Thanks Derek I a going to locate it there.

8. derekbroerse

The column switch I am referring to is typically arch-shaped, and controls both the reverse lights and neutrel safety (if electrically actuated, some seem to be built into the mechanism of the lock itself).

The tranny switch for manuals is a plunger type, basically a ball on a spring that either has one terminal (and grounds thru the case when activated) or two (including a ground wire).

Regardless, a little careful probing with a test light while moving the shifter around with the key on but engine off (insert safety disclaimer here!) should allow you to locate exactly what you need.

Good luck.

9. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

If it was me, I would hit the trailer plug and install my relay near the spare tire, behind the bumper. To me it's easier to troubleshoot from back there than inside. But that's just me..

P.S. I wouldn't use a testlight under the steering column. I would stick with a meter. A lot of CAN-BUS electronics going on down there...

10. djd427

djd427 Member
    from NEPA

I found it,, well my buddy at the dealer told me where it was,,lol
    For those who are interested,,, It is directly above the gas peddle. There are four harnesses there and it is the one all the way to the passenger side and it is a light gray wire.
    The reverse lights work great with the help of Alan's diagram.
    Thank you guys for your help

JRKRACE, I have a dump body on the 3500. No spare,, no bumber,,, there was nowhere safe to mount it. The underbody gets packed with snow and ice.

Derek thank you for your help

11. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

DJD what kind of relay did you use? I went to NAPA and asked them about a relay and they had no clue. Can you assist me with a wiring diagram because this is exactly what I want to do. I don't need to know the which wire to hook into just how I need to wire the relay and all that.
    Thanks

12. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

Dj, could you draw a full diagram for the harness? I might be interested in doing that when I get my back rack.

13. djd427

djd427 Member
    from NEPA

I will draw one up first thing in the morning (sunday) and post it for you guys. I will get the exact relay I used too.

14. djd427

djd427 Member
    from NEPA

15. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

link doesn't work

16. djd427

djd427 Member
    from NEPA

17. djd427

djd427 Member
    from NEPA

send me an email to djd18433@yahoo.com It won't let me post any links even trying to change it around

18. derekbroerse

Its because it is on the 'evil' Brand Y webpage. They don't like each other or something, so they list each other's webpage in with the curse words so they are automatically censored out...

19. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Can anyone send me this file if they have it?

Thanks

20. mike1316

mike1316 Senior Member

go right out of the trailer likhts that what i did