1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reverse LED spot lights

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by the_mayor, Nov 14, 2013.

1. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

I have a question for you guys. I put 2 led spot lights in my truck bed, and wired them directly to the reverse lights so they come on when I shift to reverse. The problem is, they're dim. If 1 is plugged in, it's a little brighter. But when both are hooked up along with the stock tail lights. The spots are dim. Is there some sort of booster I can add inline? Or am I stuck hooking directly to the battery and hooking up a switch? Thanks In advance.

2. Rum Runner

Rum Runner Junior Member

Run a heavy wire from the battery to a relay, use your rev light wire to energize the relay and your b/u lights will get full pwr to them, if you dont use a relay you are running to much amps through a circuit not sized for the amt of amps the aux. b/u lights need to run.

3. Snoviper

Snoviper Senior Member

From what I have been reading on the subject, yes you need a direct 12v source and a relay connected to the reverse wire to work properly. Depending on your truck, some newer ones automatically limit the current on specific circuits. I am going to put one on mine using a relay and tapping in to the trailer outlet/plug. I can pick up the reverse signal voltage for the relay as well as a direct 12v source.

4. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

Thanks guys. I'll look in to that tomorrow

5. haejinjoe

haejinjoe Junior Member

LED spot lights

You mentioned LED spot lights. They should not draw much current, therefore with good connections should light bright enough with your back up lights.
    How many watts or amps of draw are these lights? I currently have 40 watts of LED on my reverse circuit and it is working well. that's in addition to my back up light bulbs.
    The other posts to this thread seem to be assuming incandescent lights drawing much more current than LED would.

Good luck with your project.

AverageJoe

6. snowymassbowtie

snowymassbowtie Member

sounds like theres a problem. you either have a problem with a connection or maybe a defective light. test both lights directly connecting the wires to a 12 volt source,preferably right to the battery pos.and grd.. make sure both operate as they should. if they do you have something going on with wires or connections,make sure you have good ground.

7. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

I tested the lights straight to the battery, and they're really bright. When they were directly connected to the reverse lights, they were pretty dim. Now that I put in a relay............they're still dim. Crap! I'll test my ground tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. Oh and btw yes, they're led's

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Where do u have them gnded?

9. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

Use a relay....

10. dieselss

Ummmm he said he did

11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I see that statement too

12. dieselss

I see dead people too. Does that matter. Bahaha

13. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I installed 2 2000 lumen led floods into my reverse circuit, + left the original 6 inch round incandescents, no relay, no problems for the past 2 seasons. I'm going to guess it's your ground.

14. koolaidkid

koolaidkid Junior Member
    from 49445

Are they wired in parallel or series? If they are series, they only get 6 volts each.

15. dieselss

I'm gunna ask where your getting your numbers from

16. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

dont drink the koolaid

17. dieselss

I'm a Gatorade man myself

18. 05ram

05ram Member

I like vodka!

19. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

I have 2 spot leds for back-ups and Im gonna try the same thing this weekend. Let me know if you discover your problem. I will let you know how i fare as well.
    Thanks!

20. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

Project was a success! I grounded to the hitch frame, Tied into the reverse lamp wire enroute to the trailer plug, It is awesome! People will be "Blinded by the Light"! :mechanic:

photo (7).jpg