1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reverse goes out after only 3 storms!!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by RefinedPS, Jan 19, 2012.

1. RefinedPS

RefinedPS Senior Member

So I had my transmission rebuild over the summer and it worked great the first two storms, but halfway through this last one the reverse started slipping bad. :realmad: It is still under warrenty, but it has to be in the shop tomorrow and we're supposed to get 3"-6". The company that rebuilt the trans boasts of their customer service. Lets see how they hold up on that. :gunsfiring:

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

What tranny? Chevy's are known for the reverse sun shell going out. There is an upgrade called the beast.

3. RefinedPS

RefinedPS Senior Member

Its the Dodge Ram with the A518.

4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Let me guess, it was a Jasper Re-man trans.

5. RefinedPS

RefinedPS Senior Member

Nope. I had it rebuilt by a local company that offered a 3 year unlimited mile parts and labor warranty.

6. stonewellmark

stonewellmark Member

They fouled up with the low/reverse band. If not installed/adjusted properly it will take it self out in no time....often within 100 miles. Check out some of the dodge forums: Ginos garage, dodge diesel forums, allpar etc. Tons of info on that tranny. Mine has 300,000 on it, adjusted the bands and serviced it every 15,000 miles. Oh yeah, NEVER go drive to reverse while moving or engine rpm's are above 1000.....it wil also take out the band if its older.

7. RefinedPS

RefinedPS Senior Member

Yeah, I knew not to go drive to reverse while moving or high rpms. I'll check out those forums, do they tell how to adjust the band? Also, the trans shop guy said a Manuel shift lever broke. Not sure what that is. Does that sound like anything you hve heard of?

8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe he meant the reverse band anchor? Sorry for the troubles, obviously a weak spot on those trannies. I hope they upgraded the bands to kevlar bands.

9. RefinedPS

RefinedPS Senior Member

He did tell me they beefed up the transmission.

10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Not telling you your business but I'd personally never buy a transmission without a build sheet of exactly what was replaced and what parts were used/upgraded. I bought a 518 for my other 99 2500 that was a V8 and got an entire build sheet with it. When I got it (the transmission) some things didn't match up with the sheet- long story short I got my money back and swapped in a 5speed to the truck, sold it and found my V10.

How do you know it wasn't a stock plain jane rebuild with the same weaknesses if you don't know what was put into it, I can't accept someones word when it comes to a couple grand.

Just me like I said:salute:

11. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Hope you have a back up plow truck
    I have a truck thats all it is a back up has the mounts wireing on it and only seen 12hrs of plowing last year since we set it up as a back up truck in 99 One my F350 auto trans went out
    Funny part my back up truck is my wifes family daily truck F250 Crew Cab

12. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

This is a good rule of thumb for ANY transmission.

13. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Who did it?

14. RefinedPS

RefinedPS Senior Member

I got a 3 year unlimited mile parts and labor warranty, so for what I paid I don't care what got put in. Its just a pain to have a truck down.

15. RefinedPS

RefinedPS Senior Member

I do have a backup truck which saved my a$$ yesterday.

16. RefinedPS

RefinedPS Senior Member

Skyline Transmission on west river drive in Comstock Park.

17. stonewellmark

stonewellmark Member

The pat hes talking about probably is the band strut...stock is stamped steel...beefed up/upgrade is billet steel. the stamped bends then eventually breaks...best of luck